Cycling caps

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited April 2019 in Road general
Serious question but it’s only just occurred to me- what are the reasons for wearing a cycling cap under a helmet ?

I’ve noticed plenty of pros wearing them but today walking around the City lots of cyclists have them on. It’s chilly in London today but they aren’t exactly thermal !!

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Some riders find they help reduce glare from the sun, stop sweat getting in eyes, and stop bl00dy wasps stinging your head when they get in the helmet.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Generally a little warmer.

Absorbs sweat and keeps it out of eyes (massively helps for me).

Visor can be handy when sunny.

Looks pro.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Helps keep rain out of your eyes.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Stops your helmet going manky so quickly. Vast majority of sweat is absorbed by the cap which you can easily wash (that's the main reason I wear one).
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    As a glasses wearer they're essential to keep the rain away from my glasses.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    I have a big nugget, find they press quite hard on my temple? Any suggestions for ones more generous?
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Bumo_b wrote:
    I have a big nugget, find they press quite hard on my temple? Any suggestions for ones more generous?

I have found the Rapha ones are quite generous. I have the opposite problem, a bit of a pin head, and find the Rapha casquettes quite baggy on me.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Bumo_b wrote:

I have found the Rapha ones are quite generous. I have the opposite problem, a bit of a pin head, and find the Rapha casquettes quite baggy on me.

I thought I had a big napper until I tried a large Rapha cap, I was shocked to find it was baggy :shock:
  • shipley
    That’s interesting - thanks guys. Might try a rapha one as I too have a large bonce !
  • shipley
  • As above, I wear cotton caps and the reasons are:

- Keeps my head MUCH WARMER in the winter (definitely a noticeable difference)
    - I can tuck top of my ears to keep warmer (and painless in cold)
    - Absorbs sweat, thus prolongs the soft pads inside of the helmet less manky...
    - Keeps bright sun and sweat out of my eyes

My main reason is keeping my head warm in the winter. Very surprising that just a think peice of cotton material retains warmth so much, but it makes a massive difference.

I think I got one of those retro cap for like £3 (inc. delivery) on eBay... Luckily the cap fits well as I didn't even consider about head circumference.
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    You can get bigger than standard caps from Prendas. They also do a brilliant Belgian winter cap.
    Luke
  • I think cycling caps look rather silly but that's just my opinion. When it's cold out I wear a skull cap under helmet as warm, absorb sweat etc. In hot weather a sweat band.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    'cos they are cool.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I think cycling caps look rather silly but that's just my opinion. When it's cold out I wear a skull cap under helmet as warm, absorb sweat etc. In hot weather a sweat band.
    At least when you wear a cap and take your helmet off, you’re still left with a cap. Taking off your helmet and being left with a sweat band is not a good look and has just a whiff of the 1980’s about it.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Oh God yeah, the wearing of a sweat band sans helmet is NOT a good look! Purely functional and to be out of sight.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Joe Totale wrote:
    As a glasses wearer they're essential to keep the rain away from my glasses.

Snap worst is when the rain goes in behind the glasses, also agree on the wasp stopper.

Also makes it far more easy to doff your chapeau at someone if you actually have a chapeau on to start with.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Bumo_b wrote:

I have a Rapha PT one I got cheap at Shepton, thin not like the cotton ones, that’s enormous.

To answer the OP, keeps sweat out of my eyes is the main reason, but it keeps my head warm in winter and cuts down the rain on my glasses when it’s wet. Oh and keeps the sun off my balding head in summer.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    I love mt SealSkinz 'Belgian' winter cap. It actually makes winter cycling OK. In summer I have an Altura synthetic one that stays dryer than cotton ones and keeps crap out from behind my glasses and the sun away, and stops my head getting burnt.
  • shipley
    Blimey ! I had no idea they were so useful !!

I wear buffs in the winter for warmth but they do nothing for rain etc so will have a look at Rapha and Prendas for likely caps and give em a go.

Thanks all, really useful.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think Neil Stephens had an interesting use for his cap ?
  • ricky_h-2
    ricky_h-2 Posts: 119
    I rate my goretex cap as one of my best items of cycle clothing. It keeps your head warm in the winter, dry in the rain, sun out of your eyes and stops your helmet from stinking to high heaven. Give it the occasional wash and it's good as new !
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I'm a complete baldy but tend to run hot when exercising so a thin cap or beanie in the winter is enough to keep my head warm.

They do help with sweat, rain and sun.

In the summer when on long climbs (generally cycling holidays) I tend to take my helmet off and hang it off the Garmin (now Wahoo) mount. This helps me keep cooler. The cap is needed then to stop severe sunburn.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Just don’t flip the peak up. We’re cyclists not jockeys.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    In the summer, spin the peak to the back to protect your neck from the sun.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Matt_N wrote:

uh - ho.

now thats opened up that can of worms.....

《fetches popcorn》
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Matt_N wrote:

uh - ho.

now thats opened up that can of worms.....

《fetches popcorn》

I've had a word with the mayor - he's officially banned from London.

《Eats popcorn》
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I only tend to wear a cap under my helmet in winter unless I'm riding in really hot conditions when I sometimes soak one in water before putting it on thus keeping the brain a bit cooler than it might have been. That said, it doesn't get that hot, even here in SW England, that often.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    keeps your head warmer in colder/wet/windy weather but a hat that covers your ears is better in winter. A cap with a peak keeps the rain off your glasses. I use caps in a wicking material by eg Walz or Giro as opposed to cotton caps which I find to be uncomfortable.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Shipley wrote:
    Blimey ! I had no idea they were so useful !!

I wear buffs in the winter for warmth but they do nothing for rain etc so will have a look at Rapha and Prendas for likely caps and give em a go.

Thanks all, really useful.

Rapha are stupidly priced imo. Walz are better if you can find them. I got a Giro cap (helmet/shoe make) via ebay. Prendas are great value