Fast but cheap xc tyres, suggested combo?

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited April 2019 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy a rear tyre that will work well for the spring and summer if we get a dry one also to use in a 24 hour xc event. I like Maxxis Ar dents but tbh I've never used any others for spring/summer.
Was looking at a conti race king for the rear, they're slightly cheepr than Ardents. any recommends on the mentioned tyres or others would be appreciated. I'm running tubes set up.
Cheers
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    what about x-king if the ground is damp etc but will still give better grip than a race king?
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I run Conti Trail Kings front and rear all year round.

Could probably run a X-King on the back if needed.

Good grip and roll well. AFAIK they do a lighter race version (thinner sidewalls) or you can get the heavier Protection version. I have Black Chilli compound as the grip is good, they wear well and just suit what I do.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    BillyCool wrote:
    I run Conti Trail Kings front and rear all year round.

Could probably run a X-King on the back if needed.

Good grip and roll well. AFAIK they do a lighter race version (thinner sidewalls) or you can get the heavier Protection version. I have Black Chilli compound as the grip is good, they wear well and just suit what I do.

The Conti TKs are indeed everything you say, but the folding bead version with the black chilli compound (like yours) are not cheap.

If you want cheap and still good then get the wire bead version of any of the well rated tyres. They are heavier and can be harder to fit though.
  • kirkee
    Thanks, I will take a look at the suggestions, I havent seen the X kings or Trail kings yet. I just seen what was in the shop they had the Race kings and Ardents. Yes, about the "cheapness" in choosing tyres- probably restricts choice a bit!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I'm not sure I'd want to rely on a `cheap` tyre for a 24H XC event.

Depending on what tyre size you need, the Black Chilli TK and MK can be found for c.£35 each.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Ive a good Nobbly Nic 27.5 sat doing nothing if you want to try it for postage money? I wont be using it.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    For a 24 hour XC race, I would not want to use a Cont Trail King with black chilli compound. they are designed for grip and can be a bit draggy on hard surfaces. Others have commented on her and elsewhere that they are a bit draggy, but they still use them for their grip. Depending upon the terrain, I'd go for a Conti Race King, with bcc if you can get it.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    For a 24 hour XC race, I would not want to use a Cont Trail King with black chilli compound. they are designed for grip and can be a bit draggy on hard surfaces. Others have commented on her and elsewhere that they are a bit draggy, but they still use them for their grip. Depending upon the terrain, I'd go for a Conti Race King, with bcc if you can get it.

This or x-king still fast rolling tyre but has more grip if its wet etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As a Schwalbe fan I'd be looking for a Racing Ralph in pace compound and folding bead, good reliable grip, fast rolling and work OK in light mud conditions. I'd suggest a used good one is better than an cheaper new one (wire bead, performance compound).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kirkee
    As mentioned makes sense I would be best off with a tyre thats got a bit of grip in the wet. Last year the event was about 60% heavy rain and storms, could put more presure in if its dry i guess. I m part of a 4 man team but marginal gains and all that even on a budget! Just seen the Michelin wild gripper on offer at Crc, the reviews look ok, good rolling and grip. Theres alot of choice even for £25 or less.....