Internal cable routing – rust prevention

dizzydane
dizzydane Posts: 322
edited April 2019 in Workshop
Over the weekend I replaced the cables on my winter bike. Rust had formed in the lowest part of the cable guide (near the BB) meaning the gear cable was obviously stuck in the housing and it all had to come out the frame. As usual this resulted in 30mins of fiddling to get new housing and cable though.

Anyone have any ideas for stopping the water getting in? I was thinking of sealing the ends of the housing sleeve round the cable with some silicone rubber?

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Something like this I would imagine your after

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jagwire-Blac ... SwzC9bTLTz

Used it on my winter bike little tricky to get in place but works fine.
  • dizzydane
    I have fitted new housing liners with the cables, but would like to try prevent water getting into the sheath in the first place...
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    dizzydane wrote:
    I have fitted new housing liners with the cables, but would like to try prevent water getting into the sheath in the first place...

Silicone sounds a good idea, why not seal the upper hole and leave the lower hole open with a good squirt of WD40/oil/grease/whatever once in a while?
  • dizzydane
    Tried the silicone, lets see... (Sadly won't know its worked until I need to replace the cables).
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    If you make a regular job of replacing cables they won’t rust and it should be an easy job. Surely that’s better than either leaving to rust or getting gummy with lubes?
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    A long board type mudguard, or a diy extension to your front mudguard will help to minimise the amount of water, salt etc thrown on the bracket area.
  • Middleburn oilers.
    Google is your friend.
  • dizzydane
    "Middleburn cable oilers" Genius!!! How did I not know about these... :D Thank you!