Pannier racks

Craigmc1983
Craigmc1983 Posts: 4
edited April 2019 in Commuting general
Hello guys,

Apologies if this is the wrong section but I need a bit of advice.

I have bought a cube acid hybrid e-mtb to use for commuting and over bike paths in forests.....etc.

It doesn't seem to have eyelets for a luggage rack.

Can anyone recommend a rack that would fit it?

It's a 29er with disc brakes, I know this can sometime cause an issue?

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    You may be able to fit a seat post rack such as topeak. Just Google "Seatpost Pannier"
    Or look at the Carradice saddle bag mounting systems - but they are specific to their bags.
  • Gregger
    Gregger Posts: 71
    The seat post racks work fine but not on a carbon seat post
    I have used the Halfords own brand one on Northumbria coast to coast with no probs

On a 27.5 " hardtail I used one by Thule ( had a carbo seat post hence the swap)

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-acc ... k-_-100090

An expensive set up but very stable. I note the site says will take a 29" tyre
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Hi Happy Easter.

You can get P clips to attach to the frame to allow eyelets for rack and/or guards.

You may also be able to attach the rack via the seat post bolt and rear axle, which is what I've previously done.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You should be able to get a seat post clamp that has eyelets for the top rack connection, and as Andy says, use the rear skewer as the load bearing bottom connection. Do not put P-Clips on carbon seat stays and do not put a rack in mudguard mounts on the seat stays - they wont be rated to carry the extra weight. If you attach at the skewer then only the wheel takes the weight - the top mount is really just to stop it rotating (falling) backwards so doesnt carry much load.

Tailfin would be the ideal solution but only if you have deep pockets - the new ones even work on full suss mountain bikes apparently...!