Cassette upgrade for bizango 2016

_kramer
_kramer Posts: 21
edited April 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade the cassette on my HT bizango reason being its a bit rusty in parts and not sure what's wrong with it as it seems to be slipping/jumps when I change gear to smaller cogs.

It's running 2x10 at the moment, thinking of making it 1x10 what stuff do I need for this conversion something not very expensive? I hardly use the big cog in the front anyway so might as well take it out.

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Have you put a new chain on the bike recently as this will show up any wear to the cassette with what you describe skipping on your most used gears.

I don't run a fancy cassette I just use a cheaper one 11-42tooth and use a couple of chains swapping between them.

Converting the bike to 1x10 you'll just need to measure the bolt circle diameter (bcd) of your middle chainring and get something the same size in a narrow wide chainring in whatever you want 32,34tooth etc.

The standard size on a lot of cranksets is 104bcd some newer ones are 96 like on the slx m7000 etc.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    If you change cassette, also change the chain.

Have a look at your jockey wheels and make sure they are not too worn? Does your chain have sticky links? Have you measured the chain for wear? Is your rear mech sticking (gunk in cable innner/outer/).

If you want to go 1x, you'll need a NW chainring to stop the chain jumping off. What size depends on what you think will suit your riding. As you are 2x, you may need to add spacers to move the chain line a little. You will probably need shorter chainring bolts as well.

Not sure if your rear mech has a clutch but it also helps keep the chain on. You can also get chain retention devices (not always essential).

Try to understand your chain skipping/jumping first and go from there.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    Before you buy a new NW chain ring, can you actually remove the chainrings from your existing crankset?
    Cheaper cranksets tend to be riveted rather than bolted.
  • jonoM
    jonoM Posts: 8
    I upgraded my 2016 Bizango to a 1 x 10 with a 32t NW chain ring and it was fairly straight forward to do. The existing chain rings were easy to get off. I also had a similar issue to you with slipping and jumping gears and I fixed it by replacing the chain, and also giving the jockey wheels and cassette a deep clean. Also make sure the clutch is on as this could cause issues too.
  • swod1
    jonoM wrote:
    I upgraded my 2016 Bizango to a 1 x 10 with a 32t NW chain ring and it was fairly straight forward to do. The existing chain rings were easy to get off. I also had a similar issue to you with slipping and jumping gears and I fixed it by replacing the chain, and also giving the jockey wheels and cassette a deep clean. Also make sure the clutch is on as this could cause issues too.

I bought some parts from a bike shop once upgrade to deore xt 10speed they said we'll fit them for free, had slipping gears turned out they never measured and sized the chain, It was too long.
  • _kramer
    swod1 wrote:
    Have you put a new chain on the bike recently as this will show up any wear to the cassette with what you describe skipping on your most used gears.

I don't run a fancy cassette I just use a cheaper one 11-42tooth and use a couple of chains swapping between them.

Converting the bike to 1x10 you'll just need to measure the bolt circle diameter (bcd) of your middle chainring and get something the same size in a narrow wide chainring in whatever you want 32,34tooth etc.

The standard size on a lot of cranksets is 104bcd some newer ones are 96 like on the slx m7000 etc.

No I haven't changed anything around the drivetrain, this will be the first time changing things around that area. But as mentioned I don't mainly change gear on the front and it will be just in the way as I'm planning to get a dropper post as well. So less chain ring, less clutter :D, this bizango's backend got some weight to it so hoping changing the cassette to something less heavy will feel a little nice.

Back to the conversion, I'm just not sure the correct teeth ratio some says 11-42t some suggest higher and ofc NW ring in the front.

Yeah I will deep clean everything first before doing the conversion, just want to get the parts right first. As for the rear mech, it has a clutch that can be on/off so I guess that's good because it gives tension to the chain when its on.

Any recommendation what parts to get? Nothing expensive but good quality :)
  • swod1
    _kramer wrote:
    No I haven't changed anything around the drivetrain, this will be the first time changing things around that area. But as mentioned I don't mainly change gear on the front and it will be just in the way as I'm planning to get a dropper post as well. So less chain ring, less clutter :D, this bizango's backend got some weight to it so hoping changing the cassette to something less heavy will feel a little nice.

Back to the conversion, I'm just not sure the correct teeth ratio some says 11-42t some suggest higher and ofc NW ring in the front.

Yeah I will deep clean everything first before doing the conversion, just want to get the parts right first. As for the rear mech, it has a clutch that can be on/off so I guess that's good because it gives tension to the chain when its on.

Any recommendation what parts to get? Nothing expensive but good quality :)

I guess your bike being a 2x10 has a deore rear derailleur if it has a clutch, good this is something you'll need running 1x10 alongside a narrow wide chain ring to keep some tension on the chain to avoid it coming off but sometimes I've run my bike with the clutch off and not dropped a chain.

Gears ratio is up to you but pretty standard setup on bikes these days is to have 11-42tooth rear cassette with either a 30,32 or 34tooth front chain ring. My setup is currently an 11-42tooth cassette with a 32tooth front chain ring works fine but I ride most days and so fitness is good and i'm thinking to up this to a 34t on the front.

so you'll need the following

extended range cassette
    narrow wide chain ring
    new chain (recommended as you'll be fitting a new cassette)
    goat link adapter for the rear derailleur or longer b screw to allow the rear mech to shift on to a larger rear gear

Plenty of cheaper cassettes on ebay, I use them as no point buying a fancy one for it to wear out in a year of riding. Chains wise I would recommend KMC something like the x10.93 great value and last a while with regular maintenance and use of good chain lube etc.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    If you want to renew the existing cassette stock type on the Bizango 11 36 Deore theyre good value there are some SLX same ratios £25 to £30. Ref converting to 1X set up it will depend on where and what you ride over. I own a 2016 Bizango use it around Dartmoor areas and use all the available gears. The standard issue Bizango 2X with 22/36 cranks plus 11/36 cassette gives more range than SRAM Eagle. Id say stay with your existing set up and upgrade elsewhere or spend on tyres etc...unless you want/must convert to 1X, I dont see any point.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Clutch mechs do not "put tension on the chain". They are just a friction brake that resists movement of the mech arm, in either direction. This resistance damps the up and down movement of the chain so that it can't build up to be large enough that the chain comes off the ring.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not that I've ever dropped a chain in three years running an NW ring and no damper (the 'clutch' is just a friction damper).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • _kramer
    kirkee wrote:
    If you want to renew the existing cassette stock type on the Bizango 11 36 Deore theyre good value there are some SLX same ratios £25 to £30. Ref converting to 1X set up it will depend on where and what you ride over. I own a 2016 Bizango use it around Dartmoor areas and use all the available gears. The standard issue Bizango 2X with 22/36 cranks plus 11/36 cassette gives more range than SRAM Eagle. Id say stay with your existing set up and upgrade elsewhere or spend on tyres etc...unless you want/must convert to 1X, I dont see any point.

Tyres, stems and handlebars are upgraded already, one reason I'm converting it is to declutter the left-hand side for a dropper post instead. I'm not against 2x10 setup I just don't find myself using the big chain ring as often, I don't climb mountains :lol: I mainly ride at trail parks and my local trail park don't have massive climbs where 1x setup can managed it.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Makes sense then as I say depends where and what you ride over.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will