Ultegra 8000 Di2 Battery issues

bigerblokeonabike
edited April 2019 in Road general
Hi All

I have a 6 month old bike with Ultegra 8000 Di2 fitted. Previously I had Ultegra 6800 and had no issues.

Twice now I've had issues with the battery dying with little or no warning.

The first time, a few weeks ago I was going to set off to work but there was absolutely no life from the gears at all. No movement, no lights and no signal picked up by my Garmin (that usually displays selected gear and battery level ect).
I plugged in to charge the gears and some life returned. The battery level was immediately reported as 20% and I got a low battery warning from my Garmin (none had been received before this). I set off to work but the battery level dropped almost immediately to 15%. I gave up and returned home.

I took the bike to the shop and they updated the firmware but said all was good.

After fully charging the battery I deliberately let the battery run down to see if would behave better this time round.

This morning when I set off to work the battery level was 25% and I got a battery level warning from my Garmin. This dropped to 20% by the time I got to work roughly an hour and 16 miles later.
When I got on my bike to ride home the battery level was reported at 5% and I could not shift the front mech (meaning I was stuck in the granny gear). After about 20 minutes the rear mech stopped shifting and I was left with needing a cadence of 100 to do 16 MPH for the rest of my ride home.

This doesn't seem right to me. Should I get a replacement battery under warranty or what would people suggest?

Thanks

Comments

• kiteloopy
    kiteloopy Posts: 94
    I've found my battery is sensitive to the type of socket that I plug it in. Any socket that isn't 2.5A, and I find that the battery drains while being plugged in. Do you have a few types of USB wall chargers that you can try out?
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Sounds like faulty battery. I guess it’s possible you have a faulty wire that’s shorting but my guess is the battery. Similar happened to a mate on a trip we did to Italy last year.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Batteries are sensitive about charging rates, mine seem to like charging from a computer for some reason, but if you have had no issues in 6 months that may not be the problem.

Have you managed to saturate the battery contacts whilst washing the bike?

Failing that some batteries are faulty, I had one replaced with no issues since
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Batteries are sensitive about charging rates, mine seem to like charging from a computer for some reason, but if you have had no issues in 6 months that may not be the problem.

Have you managed to saturate the battery contacts whilst washing the bike?

Failing that some batteries are faulty, I had one replaced with no issues since
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Yes, try charging through a computer USB port. I’ve read before that wall USB chargers can cause problems with di2.

PP
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    I've had the same issue on my 18mth old Canyon Endurace with 6800. My LBS got the battery change under warranty - but this didn't resolve the issue.

I took he bike back to him, since the first visit he had purchased the shimano diagnostic tool which works in conjunction with e-tube project.

When he plugged it in it reported back that one or more of the components was faulty, when he then tested each individually it passed all apart from the rear mech.

So that's getting replaced under warranty too.

Think the diag box is called the PCE1 - take your bike to a LBS who has the latest tools to diagnose.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Does anyone charge their Di2 via a powerbank?