New lid suggestions

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
My son has out grown his kidimoto lid - it’s not wide enough

Suggestions welcome for a proper lid for a 4yo - he’s not into cartoon ones - would rather a proper one like mine.

Ta

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Slowbike wrote:
    My son has out grown his kidimoto lid - it’s not wide enough

Suggestions welcome for a proper lid for a 4yo - he’s not into cartoon ones - would rather a proper one like mine.

Ta

Catlike kitten?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    Thanks - found the pink one - yuk ;) then found the black one - better - but still no
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    How about this one. Size small fits 52-58cm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prowell-K800-C ... th=1&psc=1

Blue option looks OK IMHO but depends on your son's taste

71YGMwgFjTL._SL1500_.jpg
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    Planet X we're doing helmets for around £15 not too long ago.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fit is the most important thing. Take to shop and buy one from there.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

would you put your head in a £15 helmet? so why should he put his child's head in one?

as above, go to shop. brain injury sux.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422

would you put your head in a £15 helmet? so why should he put his child's head in one?

They still have to pass the same EN standard ya halfwit.
  • Matthewfalle

They still have to pass the same EN standard ya halfwit.

apart from not as well, uncomfy, break easier, jeffier and just cheap and nasty.

always thought that the best way to encourage a child to wear their helmet all the time was to get them something cheap and nasty.

don't seen boonen in a £15 planet x lid.

theres a reason why they are £15.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

The pros will wear what their sponsors provide them with. Ironically, Boonen would probably prefer not to wear a helmet at all.

The PX lids are £15 because they are sourced direct from the factory and bought in bulk. As pointed out earlier, they still need to conform to precisely the same safety standards as any other lid sold in the UK.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

The PX lids are £15 because they are sourced direct from the factory and bought in bulk and are made of the cheapest materials the cheapest way with little to no QC and are won't really offer much protection above the very bare minimums required to scrape through the tests and won't actually fit very well anyway meaning it will give even less protection.

but hey, its only his kids head, so whos worried.

FTFY

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    I've a cheap Carnac helmet from Planet X.

As safe and as comfortable as my branded helmets.

If it breaks easier (and it's not done so yet) then I can replace it another six or seven times.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

The PX lids are £15 because they are sourced direct from the factory and bought in bulk and are made of the cheapest materials the cheapest way with little to no QC and are won't really offer much protection above the very bare minimums required to scrape through the tests and won't actually fit very well anyway meaning it will give even less protection.

FTFY

Hmm. I see. You're a big fan of chinese carbon wheels (as I am). So it's ok to buy cheap carbon wheels from China (which are generally every bit as good as more expensive brands), but not ok to buy cheap Chinese helmets (which are also likely to be every bit as good as more expensive brands). Your opinions - such as they are - do not seem consistent.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

FTFY

Hmm. I see. You're a big fan of chinese carbon wheels (as I am). So it's ok to buy cheap carbon wheels from China (which are generally every bit as good as more expensive brands), but not ok to buy cheap Chinese helmets (which are also likely to be every bit as good as more expensive brands).

yup.

its chalk and cheese.

be interesting to see how many of the people on here advocating a £15 helmet actually wear one.

or is it the old "oh, its just a child, doesn't matter," argument?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    end of the day though, so long as it fits and the child wears it its better than nothing.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    yup.

its chalk and cheese.

be interesting to see how many of the people on here advocating a £15 helmet actually wear one.

or is it the old "oh, its just a child, doesn't matter," argument?

I don't see why it's 'chalk and cheese' - the same principles will apply in both cases. Like Cougie, I have one of the Carnac lids - bought it because it was cheap. Can't really tell the difference if I'm honest (it's no less comfortable) and it has all the same stamps as my Protone.
  • slowbike
    MF - ever thought that the £15 helmets are as good as the cheap adult ones? Made to the same spec, prices low to encourage parents to spend on some protection?

Anyway - it was said above - shop and try - to get the right fit - which we did as we happen to be passing decathlon- thought we’d have a look - found one that fitted and he liked. It wasn’t £15
  • cougie
    It's only a bit of foam, strapping and a shell. Oh mine has a visor so I can pretend I'm a space man. Helmets don't have to cost the earth.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I have a Giro Synthe as my "best" helmet - and a selection of Carnac ones. An aero road without visor, an aero road with visor, a fake Evade, a fake Bambino. Build quality on the Carnacs is really good. Not as good as the Synthe, but not so far off that you really notice in use. My favourite of the lot is the fake Evade - looks the part, really comfortable and probably not significantly less aero than the real thing.
    Only reason I have so many is the "buy a £30 voucher get a free helmet" offer, which meant if I needed something at PX it was rude not to get another one.
    Seriously - nothing wrong with the Carnac helmets, just shows how overpriced major manufacturers really are.
  • slowbike
    hmm - trying to find a nice little chinstrap for him now ...