Strava PBs. What's your PB?

Darius_Jedburgh
Darius_Jedburgh Posts: 675
edited April 2019 in Road general
Went out this morning and rode a fairly normal 65mile route. I was feeling good so didnt hang about. When I came home Strava told me that I'd earned 44 PBs. I'm not a slave to Strava and had no idea many of the segments existed.

That's a lot for me and it got me wondering how many Stava Achievements others finish with?

Well, what's the score?

Comments

• -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Not exactly a comparable metric. For example, some areas of London like Richmond Park have hundreds of segments in a lap.

Generally, I get very few PRs nowadays as I've already ridden most of the roads before... and probably my fitness is worse :D
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    It also depends how often you have ridden a segment before. If you go out and do a whole raft of new segments you’ll get a whole raft of PRs.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    figbat wrote:
    It also depends how often you have ridden a segment before. If you go out and do a whole raft of new segments you’ll get a whole raft of PRs.
    No longer true (fortunately). They brought that in at random a year or two back - PR on first attempt of a segment. They turned it off some months later after a lot of feedback against it.
  • -Dash wrote:
    figbat wrote:
    No longer true (fortunately). They brought that in at random a year or two back - PR on first attempt of a segment. They turned it off some months later after a lot of feedback against it.
    Yes indeed. You have to ride a segment twice before becoming eligble for any performance awards.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    If you ride a route more than onece, your likely to get a PB at some point on it.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Really? I guess that means I haven’t ridden anywhere new for a while! Anyway, the same principle applies for the second time you ride a long route, if you are overall faster you come home with a bunch of PRs.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Pick a new route, go out on your pub/shop bike, then do same route on your proper bike if PR's mean that much.

Personally don't pay much attention to them nowadays, just look at distance and overall time.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pick a new route, go out on your pub/shop bike, then do same route on your proper bike if PR's mean that much.

Personally don't pay much attention to them nowadays, just look at distance and overall time.

Not your power zones?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Still surprises me that in 2019 people are still creating strava segments. Let it go. Move on.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Pick a new route, go out on your pub/shop bike, then do same route on your proper bike if PR's mean that much.

Not your power zones?

Ben, I am the first to admit I am not a good enough cyclist to concern myself with power zones etc.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    Had something similar happening to me today. Even did a top 10 time which wasn’t that far of the KOM.

So at first I was very impressed by my improvement this week.

But after careful analysis, all my Pb’s were all in the first half of the 120 km run. On the way back, I only did 2 PB’s.

So the conclusion is, I simply had a good tailwind which allowed to me break all my PB’s in a row (i actually lost count how many it was, it was too many)

So PB’s is very unreliable. Also if you ride in a group, you will break all your PB’s without effort.

Just focus on the power that you are able to produce which is more reliable.
  • Down here in Tasmania there are a lot less pointless or overlapping segments than somewhere like Surrey where there's like a billion just up Box Hill... ;-)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think my favourite PB is up a local hill, back up north. I had the KOM for a year or two, half a dozen years ago. A few mates are currently using it to train for an event, giving it beans... and that time I set in 2013 is still a heap quicker than any of them have managed.

It's only Strava, I'm no longer KOM, but it's nice bragging rights for in the pub or cafe. :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    I've been riding more recently across the same routes using my commute to increase the mileage. Every ride seems to be an improvement giving me 30 or so medals each time. I'm not smashing the rides deliberately but obviously just getting lighter/fitter. It's a handy way to track my progress but I'm never going to be troubling any KOM's