Will this budget get me a better bike?

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello

I've been road riding about 12 months and really enjoying it:)

Two bikes - comfy 2006 genesis alloy with 27 speed Tiagra and rim brakes, and a 2017 ribble endurance 22 speed ultegra mavic aksium disc .

My first choice is the genesis, it's comfy but she's heavy which makes it hard on the climbs. Ribble is nimble and responsive, but tiresome on longer rides with reference arms and back. Both have had bike fits.

With £2k/£2.5k if i can get cycle scheme set up going to get me something better than the ribble? I'm thinking it's the frame as components decent. With 'better' I'm thinking faster and comfy which may not go hand in hand.

Will be 100m rides max, majority 50ish due to time. Keen to stay ultegra and disc.

Anybody had the ribble (never seen another or on eBay) that has changed? Or similar bikes and changed?

Cheers!

Dave

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    A Ribble Endurance Ultegra will cost £2k to £2.5k depending on frame material. Do you have steel, alu or carbon currently?

You may be better off looking at more relaxed frame geometry or rechecking your bike fit.
  • david7m
    The ribble is carbon, brought it second hand but effectively new last autumn.
    I never looked at the geometry, just assumed it would be relaxed for longer rides.
    Dave
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    The main benefit I found going from a used £400 bike to a brand new £2000 bike is that I am more motivated to go out on my shiny new bike. Some days with my old bike I would not go out but with my new one I want to get out and ride it more which in turn has made me fitter and faster.

I can get pretty much similar times around our local 10 mile tt circuit on both bikes it just feels more efficient on the new one.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    To be honest, geometry charts are gibberish to me, I have to go by feel on the bike. I have a Genesis CdF and my only adjustment is putting all the spacers under the stem.
    When you say you got a bike fit on the Ribble, did they make any adjustments, given its second hand?
    I was in the Ribble Birminghma store recently, and I liked the look of the new Endurance range, but preferred the steel frame models, purely on looks.
  • david7m
    This is where I'm not so sure if it's supposed to be like this riding carbon at this price point. On paper the ribble looks good, and reviews on the latest version are good value for money. Can't actually find a review of my model year. Will get a picture posted.

The fit wasn't at ribble, but everything was checked. Would probably get different set up elsewhere, but it's gonna be 99% there.

Dave
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Once you get past £1k the gains are marginal. I had a simiilar dilema my cf carbon was 10 years old.

But how do you top a carbon ultegra ?

Have a look a kuota khydra - relaxed geo bike with discs or the kiral with rim brakes.
  • Maybe titanium is an option? Provides a bit more flexing and comfort although may not feel as power efficient but can be significantly lighter than steel and absolutely gorgeous frame material to look at. I've read it's one of the best materials for cycling long distances.
  • david7m
    Cheers chaps!
    I don't really want to buy another bike to be honest,but would if the improvement was there.
  • david7m
    The baby blue TCRs look great :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What tyres do you have on the Ribble and what PSI ?
  • david7m
    I'm 84kg without kit.
    Gp4000II.
    23 rear 95 psi.
    25 front 85.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The Ribble sounds like it is already the right bike. I know you've had a bike fit, but in view of the arm and back pain you mention, is it the right size for you? What's your height / inside leg, and what size frame is the Ribble? What is the drop from the saddle to the top of the bars?

How does it differ from the Genesis which you say is comfy??