Campag + discs: £2k-3k

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello all

Am after a new bike with Campagnolo (because I like the shifting) and Disc brakes (because I like the stopping) for £2,000-£3,000, suitable for general road use. Would rather have something sporty and racy as it tends to be used for 2-3 hour blasts at the weekend, rather than all day epics.

BUT: before someone suggests a Canyon Endurance, it cannot be blue :P

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tifosi bikes are in that price range.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ribble endurance SL?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you not too much of a brand tart the this fits the bill

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRRCAM ... -road-bike

Chorus EPS and an aero frame that has won some plaudits. Aero bike of the year (2017) in Cycling Weekly

EDIT:- Doh!!! - just realised a key factor - no discs on the EC130 - apologies
  • Mason Definition or Resolution? Would be top end of your budget if looking at H11 though I suspect.

I've got a Definition 2 with H11 set up and it's fantastic. Mason doesn't offer stock builds with Campagnolo so you'd have to factor this in. Will post some pictures when I get chance.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    When I was looking there was very little out there equipped with Campag discs.

In the end I built a Bowman Pilgrims with Potenza 11s disc gruppo as a winter/commuter hack. It's marketed as a "road plus" frame with extra tyre clearance and mudguard mounts but I've set it up with nearly the same stack/reach as my racy bike.

The other option I was considering was building a Chinese carbon disc frame but I couldn't find one with mudguard eyelets.

HgMTriYh.jpg
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Couldn't see an embedded image hence this post. May just be my PC tho so apologies to jeffbwood

d2qyESa.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Potenza Hydro groupset £1100

Kinesis Racelight 4S disc frameset in pink £750 (the other option is blue)

Bit of cash left in your budget for some decent wheels and finishing kit?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367

...or would be if didn't have blue bits on the frame :wink:
    I'd happily have that though
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Here is another option: https://www.cyclerepublic.com/cinelli-s ... -2019.html

However, I agree with the direction of some of the others i.e. that lovely Mason and Bowman. Buy the groupset and the frame separately and the things you want. Complete bikes always come with crap wheels, seat post and stem. So you wipe out your complete bike discount straight away.

Also, you can get some super discounts on last years frames.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    There are some bargains to be had. I have a spare set of V2 SR EPS (rim brakes) in the shed looking for a home, but rather fancy something with disc brakes, so on the hunt for a suitable frame.

In the mean time I spotted that Merlin were flogging H11 EPS shifters and callipers for £500 the pair, most places have them at £750 st best. So I bought them. Then last week a pair of the same appeared on eBay, new, and they went for ~£250. Another set appeared with a BIN price of £300 late last week. I’d have bought them but too late to send my Merlin purchase back. Second hand front and rear mechs go for less than £150, often a lot less, so you could probably put the whole lot together for less than £1200.

Frame, I’m thinking of a Trek Emonda ALR, or a CAAD12. Bowman are bringing out a Palace:R disc and I’d buy that but will be the summer before it appears, I think, and I’m impatient
  • ^^^^
    This is exactly how I built mine up. Last year Merlin had cracking deals on H11 and I managed to pick up discs/calipers/shifters and chainset for about 50% RRP. That and their loyalty scheme meant for a really good deal. The off-putting thing for me with going for lower end (e.g. potenza) lever system is the limited rear single downshift.

As a word of caution the specific chainset for the hydro groupset is required as the chainline using a standard chainset is horrendous. Whether or not the specific rear and front mech is actually required is open for further investigation as I've not attempted this yet but I suspect not.

Some ebay bargains on new H11 chainsets currently if you have a hunt....
  • arlowood wrote:
    Couldn't see an embedded image hence this post. May just be my PC tho so apologies to jeffbwood

Thanks @arlowood - thought i'd done it right but obviously not!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    jeffbwood wrote:
    As a word of caution the specific chainset for the hydro groupset is required as the chainline using a standard chainset is horrendous. Whether or not the specific rear and front mech is actually required is open for further investigation as I've not attempted this yet but I suspect not.

Some ebay bargains on new H11 chainsets currently if you have a hunt....

Just bought an H11 chainset on eBay (50/34), brand new for £250. Very pleased with that that!
  • secretsam
    arlowood wrote:

d2qyESa.jpg

Sorry, just come back following house move.

Nice bike. Too blue :evil:

• SecretSam wrote:
    arlowood wrote:

d2qyESa.jpg

Sorry, just come back following house move.

Nice bike. Too blue :evil:

Ta. They do it in grey too......
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Dolan DR1 with Potenza Hydro Disc?
    Can be had for between £2500 - £3000
    Comes in either Black/Yellow or Grey/Red.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/disc-r ... build.html
  • Dolan DR1 with Potenza Hydro Disc?

My mason above came in at less than £3k. In fact with the Hunt 4 season wheels that I got with the frame it would be £2.5k. Granted the saddle, stem, bars are all nearly new ebay bargains and I got very good deals on the H11 stuff by shopping around but nevertheless, and in my opinion, it's way better value considering it's all H11 with the exception of the front/rear mech which are Chorus HO.

The op could obviously get a cheaper frame (Bowman Pilgrim Disc) and get a slightly more racy set up with H11 for even less. The great thing about the Mason though is that it's so versatile. It's been my go to winter/commuter but also had loads of fun on it last summer with the guards off stomping around the French countryside. The Hunt 4 season wheels have some CX tyres on ready for gravel riding as well.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    jeffbwood wrote:

My mason above came in at less than £3k. In fact with the Hunt 4 season wheels that I got with the frame it would be £2.5k. Granted the saddle, stem, bars are all nearly new ebay bargains and I got very good deals on the H11 stuff by shopping around but nevertheless, and in my opinion, it's way better value considering it's all H11 with the exception of the front/rear mech which are Chorus HO.

The op could obviously get a cheaper frame (Bowman Pilgrim Disc) and get a slightly more racy set up with H11 for even less. The great thing about the Mason though is that it's so versatile. It's been my go to winter/commuter but also had loads of fun on it last summer with the guards off stomping around the French countryside. The Hunt 4 season wheels have some CX tyres on ready for gravel riding as well.

Perhaps...
    It's just another option for the OP to consider.
  • secretsam
    jeffbwood wrote:

Perhaps...
    It's just another option for the OP to consider.

Thing is, I have a "winter" bike. What I am after is something for sunny Sundays...

• SecretSam wrote:

Thing is, I have a "winter" bike. What I am after is something for sunny Sundays...

Granted - but hence why i suggested the Mason does both very well and mentioned the Bowman. Perhaps you could confirm preferred frame material to narrow people's suggestions?