Building bike...new frame...bottom bracket?

Methodical
Methodical Posts: 15
edited March 2019 in Road general
I’m in the process of building another bike. I’ve decided to purchase the Trek Emonda SLR frame. (had my eye on the Canyon EVO frame, but it’s not available in the U.S. at the moment and Canyon’s pretty limited options and limited availability of parts dissuaded me on Canyon for now). I was able to get a look at a customer’s bike (Emonda SLR frame) at the LBS and noticed the bottom bracket area was hollow and according to Trek, the BB bearings sit directly in the frame with no bottom bracket cups. Although, the frame is made to accept the BB bearings with no cups, I am concerned with this setup because I have to now use oversized BB bearings on my 2012 Trek Madone because the BB frame area had become enlarged. Because of this concern, I am considering installing the Wheels Manufacturing threaded BB bearing and cups (see link below). I figured it will prevent damage to the frame and if for any reason there is any wear, the cups will take the hit and not the frame.

1.Is my thinking on point or am I wrong about this?
2. Should I install these bearings?
3. Has anyone used these types of bearings on their bike?

Bottom Bracket

I’d appreciated any insight.

Thanks...

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    have there been any reports of the damage you mention to those frames?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I think your Emonda frame will have a BB90 bottom bracket. This is too wide for the Wheels bit of kit you have linked to.
  • lesfirth
    edited March 2019
    deleted duplicate post.
  • have there been any reports of the damage you mention to those frames?

I've done some limited search and found no issues, but just going off my experience with my current Madone that has a well documented issue with the BB area.
  • Methodical
    Methodical Posts: 15
    edited March 2019
    lesfirth wrote:
    I think your Emonda frame will have a BB90 bottom bracket. This is too wide for the Wheels bit of kit you have linked to.

Not sure what you mean by "Wheels bit" but according to the webpage, it fits Trek PF90 BB.
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    You're 'merican, build it, trash it, sue them.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    IMO you're trying to solve a problem you may not have. I'd just fit the BB as Trek intended. If in time it starts to develop play, then maybe invest in a screw-together Wheels Mfrg adapter.

I went through a similar period of doubt when I bought a frameset with a (factory installed) Shimano BB86 pressfit bottom bracket. So far it's outlasting any of my previous threaded BBs and is utterly smooth and silent after 6 years...
  • lesfirth
    Methodical wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "Wheels bit" but according to the webpage, it fits Trek PF90 BB.

I do not know exactly what a PF 90 is but I think your new frame will have a BB90. Wheels Mfg.webpage- wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards - leads me to believe PF 90 and BB90 are not the same and they only supply replacement bearings for a BB90. The "wheels bit of kit you linked to" is the wheelsmfg.threaded BB you refer to in your original post. They make no mention of this fitting a BB90.

Alternatively I could be talking b0llocks. It would not be the first time.
  • You're 'merican, build it, trash it, sue them.

Huh? What?
  • lesfirth wrote:
    Methodical wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

I do not know exactly what a PF 90 is but I think your new frame will have a BB90. Wheels Mfg.webpage- wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards - leads me to believe PF 90 and BB90 are not the same and they only supply replacement bearings for a BB90. The "wheels bit of kit you linked to" is the wheelsmfg.threaded BB you refer to in your original post. They make no mention of this fitting a BB90.

Alternatively I could be talking b0llocks. It would not be the first time.

The PF90 just means press fit 90 and I believe they are the same, but, I will most definitely confirm with them.

Thanks for the input.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards

If you have a close look at this you'll see that BB90 and PF90 are quite different. Confusingly Trek have used both...

For BB90 Wheels Manufacturing only offer replacement bearings, not a screw together adapter.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I'm in the process of building up a Domane. I don't like the BB90 Press fit bearings, so researched an alternative. I found this Token BB

https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-br ... 470-bb3724

https://www.tokenproducts.com/images/BB ... Manual.pdf

You can get them direct from Token, and you'll need to buy the installation tool as well (it's about £25 for a bit of machined alumininium!)

47058397361_d25bcdc984_c.jpgToken BB by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

You'll also need a suitable 1/2" drive torque wrench (I used a 3/16" with an adaptor)
  • keef66 wrote:
    https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards

If you have a close look at this you'll see that BB90 and PF90 are quite different. Confusingly Trek have used both...

For BB90 Wheels Manufacturing only offer replacement bearings, not a screw together adapter.

Thanks. That is good to know.
  • rafletcher wrote:
    I'm in the process of building up a Domane. I don't like the BB90 Press fit bearings, so researched an alternative. I found this Token BB

You can get them direct from Token, and you'll need to buy the installation tool as well (it's about £25 for a bit of machined alumininium!)

You'll also need a suitable 1/2" drive torque wrench (I used a 3/16" with an adaptor)

Thanks. I will take a look at them.
  • Matthewfalle
    Methodical wrote:

I've done some limited search and found no issues, but just going off my experience with my current Madone that has a well documented issue with the BB area.

we would say that if there have been no reported issues with this bike and Trek have probably sold tens of thousands of them then there is nothing to worry about.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Methodical wrote:

if anything, they have probably learnt lessons from previous models nd taken them into consideration when designing this one, so you'll probably be fine

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lesfirth
    rafletcher wrote:

I know it does not take much but I am baffled here. The hole in a BB90 bottom bracket is 37mm i.e. the OD of the bearing.

No cup involved, the bearing goes directly into the frame.

If you house the bearing in alloy,plastic and fibre ( as token say they do ) , you need a smaller OD bearing or you have to make the hole in the frame bigger.

How does it fit?
  • lesfirth
    rafletcher wrote:

I know it does not take much but I am baffled here. The hole in a BB90 bottom bracket is 37mm i.e. the OD of the bearing.

No cup involved, the bearing goes directly into the frame.

If you house the bearing in alloy,plastic and fibre ( as token say they do ) , you need a smaller OD bearing or you have to make the hole in the frame bigger.

How does it fit?
  • stavgold
    stavgold Posts: 61
    Fit some Genuine quality bearings like SKF, NTN...and use a retaining compound

Have a look at this kit and video https://www.hambini.com/bike-parts/trek ... g-kit.html
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    lesfirth wrote:
    rafletcher wrote:

How does it fit?

As you say, the OD of the bearing is slightly smaller, the OD of the BB assembly matches that of the "standard" BB90 bearing.

I wasn't worried about frame damage, I just don't like the BB90 principal of the bearing being independently pressed into the frame and held in place by the crankset, I just prefer the "unit" construction of the Token style BB. I use a similar design (albeit a Hope version) on my Argon frame. And no issues with creaking as the bearings shift, so no need to end up fitting O/S bearings when replacements are needed.