Multiple maps on Garmin 800

rnath
rnath Posts: 176
edited March 2019 in Road general
I'm trying to load a couple of ToastyTalker maps onto my Edge 800 in addition to the base map. I've read that you can have multiple maps on the SD card which you can then switch between - sounds ideal. However, it only seems to recognize map files named "GMAPSUPP.img" so I can only get it to see one additional map. Is that right, or am I missing something? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You can rename the gmapsupp.img file to something else as long as the extension is kept as dot img. Don't have spaces in the filename.

What maps are you trying to put on your Garmin? The TalkyToaster site states that if you are trying to use more than one map with contour lines it will cause issues. See the TalkyToaster site for details.

The one thing you have to to be careful about with multiple maps is that whoever created the maps needs to have made sure they have different internal ids and tile names. If they didn't then it will cause problems. I don't think that this should be an issue with TalkyToaster maps though.
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    @wongataa Many thanks for that... yep, both maps have contours so that's probably it. I'll stop banging my head against that wall then! :)
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I have a Garmin 800. I find having contours in the map a bit pointless as I think the screen is too small to see them effectively.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have one too - depends what zoom level you're at - it's quite handy when you're on a long climb you don't know and your riding partner asks "how much further?" ...
    but tbh, I rarely use the map function - I tend to know where I am - I need to venture further ...
    It is handy abroad/on holiday though -