Help me decide where to spend it...

guyver_steel
guyver_steel Posts: 6
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
£500 to spend on a ROAD BIKE but where's it best spent?

So recently got into cycling after having mountain bikes as a kid. Bought a new GIANT ROAM HYBRID! It's a nice bike for what it is, and will do me in the winter but I'm after something faster. Bike will be mainly for fitness (and to avoid being passed every two minutes :cry: )

Currents options:

Brand new:
B'TWIN TRIBAN 520 - £500
TRIBAN RC 500 - £530

OR

Second hand options i'm looking at:

RIBBLE EVO PRO CARBON - £450
105 5700 set, disc brakes, Fulcram Quattro wheels w Continental 4 seasons, San Marco Cocor seat.

SPECIALIZED ROUBIX SL4 DISC - £500
Sora set, Pro Lite revo wheels, upgraded Trp Spyre brakes, 105 Spd pedals.

PLANTET X PRO CARBON - £450
105 Groupset, Sora brakes, Mavic aksium elite, San Marco punza, shimano spd.

Open to suggestions for what to look at instead or if I should save up for something else but I'm conscious it is my first road bike.

Thanks in advance. :wink:

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I would think s/h will be much better rides - but you have to look at how well they've been maintained. All well and good having "good branded kit" - but if it's knackered, it's knackered!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    This might be worth considering

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... lue_460045

Just a smidgen over your budget but worth it for the Tiagra 10 speed groupset - Tektro brakes are not top dollar but these could be upgraded in time
  • guyver_steel
    guyver_steel Posts: 6
    edited March 2019
    Slowbike wrote:
    I would think s/h will be much better rides - but you have to look at how well they've been maintained. All well and good having "good branded kit" - but if it's knackered, it's knackered!

Good point!

I'm fully aware at £500 I'm looking at entry level but just wanted to put it out there to you knowledgeable guys and girls. £500 is still a good chunk of pocket money anyway you look at it. :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If all you plan to do is ride on decent-ish roads I'd just get the £500 Triban.

The newer RC gives you fatter tyres and mechanical disc brakes, but it looks like it will be quite a bit heavier. Be a bomb proof commuter though.

Hard to comment on the S/H options; much depends on the age and condition of the components.

At the end of the day, the best bike is one that fits you properly. You're much more likely to ride it.
  • arlowood wrote:
    This might be worth considering

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... lue_460045

Just a smidgen over your budget but worth it for the Tiagra 10 speed groupset - Tektro brakes are not top dollar but these could be upgraded in time

Is the tiagra groupset really gonna be noticeable for the extra money? Granted the brand is more desirable but is the frame worth the extra?

Looks wise I quite like the grey on the RC500 and feel it'll be easier to put my own personal stamp on it.

... Finding stock for the Triban could be a other stumbling block as its out in my size. :(
  • Found a few options... Would appreciate thoughts or if anyone has any experience with them.

https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-roma ... 06187.html

And

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-pr7 ... 14766.html
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    whats the base level boardman price nowadays?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Fair enough. Gotta start somewhere no?

Thanks to those who replied.

:?
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Forget the merlyn, with Sora and 11-25 casette you are going nowhere. You are looking for at least 11-28, 11-32 is better for a new rider. 105 is great, tiagra good enough, but dont go lower than that
  • yiannism
    edited March 2019
  • yiannism
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That Sensa Romagna looks like good VFM and it has sensible gearing