Speed limiting cars by 2022

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited April 2019 in Road general
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU.

The Department for Transport said the system would also apply in the UK, despite Brexit.

tick...tick - a petition awaits !

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I can't see them marching for this.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Quality counter argument:- I kid you not !!!

"Mr King added: "Dodgem cars are all fitted with speed limiters, but they still seem to crash."
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    cougie wrote:
    I can't see them marching for this.

Ha, I can. There are protests against the possibility of creating more 20mph zones in towns, so I think this will cause outrage from those drivers who seem to insist on getting from a to b as fast as possible.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Then it will re ignite the debate about 70mph on motorways being too slow :)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Like self driving cars and built in breathalizers - it'll be great - for everyone else ...

I had thought for a while that it wouldn't take too much to physically limit vehicles to speed limits - but then there are loads of speed limits that are appropriate for specific times of the day and can be safely exceeded at others.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    From what I've read it works similarly to cruise control, ie when you touch the brake or accelerator you can override the limiter. Doesn't seem like that big a deal if that's the case.
    If that wasn't possible, then the speed differential between vehicles on the road from 2022 would be just plain dangerous.
  • cougie
    I don't see that the roads will be more dangerous with speed limiting. It's the cars exceeding the limits that make it dangerous. I'd think the majority are driving to the limits now.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    cougie wrote:
    I don't see that the roads will be more dangerous with speed limiting. It's the cars exceeding the limits that make it dangerous. I'd think the majority are driving to the limits now.

Even in 20mph areas?

I'd say maybe 50% keep to the speed limit on motorways (when it's clear), maybe 70% on 30mph roads that feel urban, about 10% on dual carriageway roads that are 30mph and about 5% in 20mph zones.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Presume there's the tech to have an immobiliser if the car doesn't have VED & Insurance too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    they tried limiting the horse power of motorbikes back in the 90s - 125 bhp.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    i think the eurocrats name was martin burgmann or similar.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    All the Japanese manufacturers complied for a couple of years - part of the reason why the 'Blade came out

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    the legislation didn't pass then so not sure it will now.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    I can't actually think of any 20mph zones by me ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    One road out of town here used to have alternate short sections of 20mph and 30mph. Bloody impossible to keep track of which bit you were on; I used to do 20 just in case, but an auto speed limiter would've been handy.

Think they gave up on it and it's all back to 30 now :roll:
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Good idea! Can't wait to see a 600+ HP Lamborghini limited to 60mph on the open road. :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway - the country's roads are in such a shocking state that supercars/performance cars or indeed any cars with very low profile tyres are pointless now days. Spend most of their time slowing down or driving around potholes.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Can't wait for the demand from the usual crowd for bikes to be limited as well :?
  • kingstongraham
    cougie wrote:

Basically the whole of Richmond is planned to be 20mph (with very few exclusions). https://www.richmond.gov.uk/20mph
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    We will probably have black boxes fitted to older cars to establish what speed we are doing and where, which I think will be a good thing. If you can't keep to some simple rules of the highway then perhaps you shouldn't be allowed on it.... but given the amount of drivers who injure and kill cyclists who "get away with it" in the eyes of the law, then anything that reduces speed and awareness of ones own driving can only be a good thing.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• cougie
    Don't some insurance companies already insist on this ?
  • slowbike
    cougie wrote:
    Don't some insurance companies already insist on this ?
    some do - and offer a lower insurance cost as the incentive.

but currently we have a choice ...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Good idea! Can't wait to see a 600+ HP Lamborghini limited to 60mph on the open road. :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway - the country's roads are in such a shocking state that supercars/performance cars or indeed any cars with very low profile tyres are pointless now days. Spend most of their time slowing down or driving around potholes.

https://twitter.com/JoostNederpelt/stat ... 3929165825
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    cougie wrote:

lived in an area with some for a few years now, doesnt seem to make a whole heap of difference to speed of cars it has to be said, I had to rant at a near neighbour about it once as he treated the road like his own personal race track and he claimed he hadnt realised...because they always put speedbumps on normal roads :roll:

I can see the limiter will create issues, Ive no problem with the principle of keeping to speed limits,but Im thinking of the stuff you get with trucks, always remember getting to the bottom of Snake pass driving home from Manchester once following two lorries, and as the road became two lanes, the 2nd lorry decided to overtake the 1st going up... so youll get the same in cars, like on the A52 as you do now through the villages,limit drops,most slow down, out of the villages back up to NSL straight bit of road, be a test of acceleration, which you know the kind of people who would break speed limits would floor it anyway, then who yields if they both hit roughly the same sped, they wont just like they dont when passing cyclists on the road, bother thinking they need to drive differently/safely

and then theres the whole thing of it taking away an element of concentration of the driver, theyve said with driverless cars,and arguably its something cropping up more in airplanes too, the human driver isnt able to adapt/react to things as quickly if it hasnt been engaged in the actual process instead of relying on the computer to do it, you had that case last week someone had reversed onto a pavement and killed a pedestrian, and their excuse was the reversing sensors didnt warn them of a problem, so they didnt bother to check for one either.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Will they work both ways and speed up the old dears round here that can't seem to go above 34mph when driving on a smooth wide 60mph B-road every damn weekend?
  • slowbike
    Will they work both ways and speed up the old dears round here that can't seem to go above 34mph when driving on a smooth wide 60mph B-road every damn weekend?

But if that's the limit of their reaction time then isn't that the right maximum speed for them - as frustrating as it can be ... !
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    IT all a sop as no one wants to improve driving standards. That the real problem not how fast people drive. you can be within the speed limit and still too fast for the conditions.

A sensible goverment would rejected the proposals and it can be rejected. is any government sensible though - well we all know what ours is like.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:

Basically the whole of Richmond is planned to be 20mph (with very few exclusions). https://www.richmond.gov.uk/20mph

all the schools round here have them.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    blimmin' good idea if you ask me.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    doesn't stop d1ckheads in their range rovers/discoveries driving through them as fast as they can though. d1ckheads.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingstongraham
    Without enforcement, it does nothing.