New bike time or not?

Grovsie29
Grovsie29 Posts: 116
edited April 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. Ive had a 2014 Santa Cruz Bronson for about 3 years now, I bought it second hand, so hasn't cost me too much. Ive done a few upgrades to it, new wheels, hubs, cassette, chain, so id like to think id get a decent amount if I sold it. All it needs is a new dropper post. I just fancy something new and a bit lighter, and kinder on the trails, uphills.

Ive just got a itch for a new bike. Ive got a healthy budget, 3k+

I mainly ride Trail centres, i like my decents, ive been to BPW, (would love to go again) and enjoy getting some decent air and jumps/drop offs, etc but i aint no red bull rampager lol. Just feel the Bronson is a bit too much now.

My 10 year old has a lovely Islabike Creig Pro and is getting pretty good on the local trails at Cannock chase.

Not sure its worth it or not, i need to demo some new bikes. What should i be looking at?

Comments

• tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    5010?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    So you’re looking for a fun but capable trail bike one step back from a Bronson?

I’d be looking at a Transition Scout, Bird Aeris 120LT, Kona Process 134, Whyte T-130, maybe a Banshee Spitfire etc
  • Grovsie29
    Joebristol wrote:
    So you’re looking for a fun but capable trail bike one step back from a Bronson?

I’d be looking at a Transition Scout, Bird Aeris 120LT, Kona Process 134, Whyte T-130, maybe a Banshee Spitfire etc

Yep pretty much joe. I will do some research on these. I love the look of the scout but I discounted it mainly because I've read it's still rather heavy.

What about a giant trance? How are they these days?I had 1 a long time ago
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    YT Jeffsy

https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/detail ... tegory/509

Or if you prefer 27.5 to 29er;

https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/detail ... tegory/509

Those are middle of the range. Look at the spec! I have ridden a few, they are brilliant and they get ace reviews too.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I ride a 16' Scout probably the best bike I have owned up to now,I hear what you are saying about the new version getting a bit porky with weight,I think it because they have been beefed them up quite a bit as they can take quite a lot of abuse,I only notice the short travel when the trail get seriously rowdy,would like to try the new one to see what the new SBG geometry is like,I did consider a Spitfire the thing that put me off was nowhere to put a water bottle in the frame,rode a mates T130 really nice bike felt more of a more rounded trail bike than my Scout,do like the look of the 5010 but if I was going to buy a complete bike I would find it hard not to go for a Jeffsy get good write ups and are great spec for the money
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Trance is a great bike. You'll notice a big improvement over your old one: longer and slacker with more travel.
    With your budget you should be able to get a 2019 Trance 1 or a Trance Advanced 2.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Grovsie29
    The yt jeffsy does look awesome that orange colour in that is amazing but there's no way to demo one is there as there not in shops.That blue trance 1 looks really nice as well. I'd rather test a bike spending 3k to be honest.
  • Grovsie29
    Which is the better spec bike between the giant and yt? Also is there much differrnce between the jeffsy models?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    2019 Ibis Ripley LS NX Eagle £3.6k - These bikes are unreal. I demoed one and loved it. Went with the Rimpo because I thought I needed a more forgiving bike due to my lack of skills!

https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=7672&9827=46748
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Grovsie29
    Ryan_W wrote:
    2019 Ibis Ripley LS NX Eagle £3.6k - These bikes are unreal. I demoed one and loved it. Went with the Rimpo because I thought I needed a more forgiving bike due to my lack of skills!

That's 4k mate.

The whyte t-130 seems to be a very good spec leisure lakes has one from 3700 to 2700quid. There's too much choice lol
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Grovsie29 wrote:
    There's too much choice lol

Defo to many nice bikes to choose from,same quandary when i bought my last one,think it's hard to get a bad bike now
  • ryan_w-2
    Grovsie29 wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

That's 4k mate.

The whyte t-130 seems to be a very good spec leisure lakes has one from 3700 to 2700quid. There's too much choice lol

Nope.... £3,600 with code TRADEUP10

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I'm obviously going to say Bird. They build bikes to your spec, you can't beat it. Airdrop have a new Edit out too which looks pretty cool, Cotic make awesome bikes as well. Oh, Sonder too. You're right, there's too much choice. ;)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Grovsie29
    I don't mind spending quite big if I'm getting something that's a good weight and spec. In the past I've gone cheaper and ended up spending loads upgrading and fixing etc.

The whyte looked excellent but it's pretty heavy which has now put me off. Half the point of new bike is ligther and better climber than my Bronson.
  • Grovsie29
    jamski wrote:
    I'm obviously going to say Bird. They build bikes to your spec, you can't beat it. Airdrop have a new Edit out too which looks pretty cool, Cotic make awesome bikes as well. Oh, Sonder too. You're right, there's too much choice. ;)

I've just gone there website and wow that's cool you can spec it how you want. I threw in some real expensive items like rockshox pikes rtc3 and sram xx1 and it only came out at 3200quid. What's the catch? I know nothing about these bikes.

Thanks
  • ryan_w-2
    Bird are great. UK made and extremely good VFM.

• tom_howard
    I've just gone there website and wow that's cool you can spec it how you want. I threw in some real expensive items like rockshox pikes rtc3 and sram xx1 and it only came out at 3200quid. What's the catch? I know nothing about these bikes.

No catch, but the reason you haven't head of them is they don't spend tons on marketing, and are direct sales so lower overheads.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • JBA
    There is no catch.
    Bird are great to deal with. telephone and e-mail always quickly answered and the guys will spend time discussing your requirements and recommending builds. A lifetime warranty on frames speaks volumes as well.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jamski
    Grovsie29 wrote:
    jamski wrote:

Thanks

As others have said, there's no catch! They'll even order parts not on their site for you, it'll just take longer. Their service is second to none, you can demo all the bikes, and you're getting everything built to your spec. It really is a no brainer imo.
  • Grovsie29
    That's fantastic seems perfect. Yeah I specced one up and it came to 3600. Similar bikes from SC and other bigger names are well over 5k from what I've seen.

What weight is yours jamski.

Dunno wether the top spec sram xx1 or we it's called is worth it over the other models. It comes down to 3k with a different one.

Is there dropper post any good? I was gonna order a brand x.
  • tom_howard
    XX1 isn’t the be all and end all. It’s very nice, and if you can afford it, go for it, but it shouldn’t be top of your upgrade list. Spend the money on suss and wheel upgrades first. Eg, XO1 is identical, save for the cranks are a little heavier. GX is still really good, just with less swish materials.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • ryan_w-2
    NX, GX, X01 and XX1 Eagle are all fantastic. You can't go wrong with any.

I went from NX to XX1 since I got a bargain deal, however, I've tried all and there isn't much between them apart from weight.

• JBA
    Eagle is so yesterday. The new Shimano XTR 12 speed has a 10 - 51 tooth cassette! That's 1 tooth better. :wink:

• Grovsie29
    Thought so on the XX1 guys, thanks.

Brakes? Was gonna go X8000XT

Ill send them a email asking some advice on specs.....
  • ryan_w-2
    You’re either a Shimano or everything else fan.

I’ve had Hope, Maguras, Shimano and have ended up with SRAM Code RSCs. Love them to bits and have never let me down.

Also soooo easy to bleed.

• tom_howard
    JBA wrote:
    Eagle is so yesterday. The new Shimano XTR 12 speed has a 10 - 51 tooth cassette! That's 1 tooth better. :wink:

Yeah, but *cough* AXS...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • Grovsie29
    Spec'd it up last night, pike rtc3, rt3 shock, X01, sram guide rsc brakes, 150mm dropper post,I left the wheels and tyres came to 3350. I can live with that.

Was gonna get there advice on size and setting up the suspension for my weight.

Thanks everyone.
  • ryan_w-2
    How much extra for the Lyrik? I'd try to go with that if only £100 or so more.

• jamski
    Grovsie29 wrote:
    That's fantastic seems perfect. Yeah I specced one up and it came to 3600. Similar bikes from SC and other bigger names are well over 5k from what I've seen.

What weight is yours jamski.

Dunno wether the top spec sram xx1 or we it's called is worth it over the other models. It comes down to 3k with a different one.

Is there dropper post any good? I was gonna order a brand x.

My ML 120 is about 14.5kg, they're not XC whippets, but they do everything really, really well. Mine was about £2.5k, so if you're spending more I'm sure there's weight savings you can make. Which frame are you looking at, 120, 145, AM9?

As for the dropper, I have the Raceface Aeffect, hasn't missed a beat, and I like all the finishing kit matching, yes, I know!

If I was speccing again, I'd go for the Eagle over Shimano. I went Shimano to save money, and knew I could change in the future easily enough, I put my money into the suspension. That's the amazing thing with Bird, you can spend money where you want and don't have to compromise.

Have also recently got them to change the chainring to an Absolute Black oval with a chain guide and I absolutely love it. Not on their site but they'll order for you.

Enjoy!
  • Grovsie29
    The aeris 120 LT.

Owch I know there not xc weight but 14.5kg is bit heavier than I was expecting.

Is the mudguards on yours the 1 from birds?I was going to go blue but I've changed my mind to orange now seeing yours. It's a cracking colour. Yeah I've specced everything up comes in at 3250quid.