Ortlieb Back Rollers Classic Rear Panniers vs Ortlieb Back Rollers plus or Ortlieb Bike Packers plus

rollingnomad
rollingnomad Posts: 40
edited March 2019 in Tour & expedition
Question: Ortlieb Back Rollers Classic Rear Panniers vs Ortlieb Back Rollers plus or Ortlieb Bike Packers plus?

I have been using the 2013 Ortlieb Back Rollers Classic Rear Panniers and Ortlieb Rack Pack large 49L
and I am thinking about Updating my Rear Panniers to Ortlieb Bike Packers plus? or Ortlieb Back Rollers plus rear Panniers?
Feedback is appreciated and Helpful

my Question is which one would you buy? Ortlieb Back Rollers Classic Rear Panniers vs Ortlieb Back Rollers plus or Ortlieb Bike Packers plus?

or I maybe buying the Arkel Orca 45 rear panniers or Arkel Dolphin 48 Rear Panniers
and my front panniers is Arkel Orva 35
Thanks

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I’d go for Bike Packers Plus. So much easier and more convenient to open and shut than roll top. Just two convenient clips to undo rather than rolling up and clipping every time you want to access the pannier. And the lid gives a useful space under which you can keep a damp rain jacket or dirty shoes away from the rest of your stuff. I have experience of both types. The roll top would be better for canoeing but the lids keep rain out really well for cycling in the heaviest downpours.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I got back roller classics for my first two tours and commuting but I couldn't put front panniers on the bike. Later on I bought a recumbent so could use two pairs of panniers. As the mule for my family I got back roller pro classic. It's 70 litres of quality and together with the 40 litres of my back rollers I had a lot of capacity even without loading the top of the rack.

Not sure if any good for you but the mesh front pocket was very useful. It kind of acts as a compression strap if empty and expands a lot to take jackets and extra layers. Very useful.