Drinks in Kingston

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,252
edited October 2019 in Commuting chat
There was much debate as to the relative merits of various pubs in Kingston a while back, as the clocks are changing next week and it's feeling more spring like we should probably do it. What do we think?
The Norb was favourite I suspect and the garden at the back means fairly secure cycle parking. But the garden is having work done so we should probably wait a couple of weeks. Alternatively the newly refurbed Canbury Arms has paving out the front and railings you can lock up to. A few nice beers as well. Several of us can ditch the bikes at home and walk to either as well.

Comments

• rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    I'm in! Boaters Inn could be another option for outdoor related antics?
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    The Canbury obviously works for me as it is staggering distance from home
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I'm in after Easter, bang up busy with work and away holiday until then. Either venue suits me, all equally convenient, as long as I can lock up the bike.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Sounds good! And good to meet folks again.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    hopkinb wrote:
    I'm in after Easter, bang up busy with work and away holiday until then. Either venue suits me, all equally convenient, as long as I can lock up the bike.
    should be no problem stacking them up against @cjcp's sofa in his front room. I'm in too, though away for a fortnight after easter.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yup, I'm in too, just try to avoid the Flanders weekend purleese
    FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My wife says I can probably come.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    Excellent, sounds promising. I think if we wait for everyone to be around it will end up Christmas drink 2021 so we should go for sooner rather than later. Then we can do it again in a month or two when Hopper and Rower are around.
    Canbury is probably the best bet as the chances of the boy working in the Norb and seeing me with a bunch of fetishists in lycra are high. Shall we go for next Thursday from around 6ish, or would people rather do a Friday? Is that too close to Flanders MTB?
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Can I also just mention the Albion? Best pub I have been to in Kingston so far...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    albion is good for bikes as well as you can store them near the back door. its popular with Chevaliers on their Wednesday training loop, and the Wheelers Wednesday lappers.
  • veronese68
    Yes, but the Albion isn't within falling over distance of my house, I'd have to crawl a little way as well. :-)
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Thursday would be good for me! 6pm is a bit early though - don't usually go through Kingston until about 7pm or so.....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Agreed 6pm is too early for me, the best I could commit to is being there at about 7.30pm ish but that doesn't prevent others from being there earlier and being 2-3 pints down by the time I arrive. Next Thurs works.
  • veronese68
    Ok, let’s go for next Thursday at the Canbury. I was just thinking in terms of on the way home time for anyone stopping on the way through. I will ditch my bike at home and change quickly then wander down. Should be there by 6:30 even if I take time to talk to the Mrs.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, but the Albion isn't within falling over distance of my house, I'd have to crawl a little way as well. :-)

pub crawl you say?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtb-idle
    Well, that is the Flanders 'weekend' but i'm not leaving for the chunnel until Friday 5th so that is good.

However i just checked the calendar and see that it is my eldest's birthday on Thursday so that is bad...

Mind you he will be 28 and as he lives with the GF we may not be seeing him anyway. So I will say 'tentative' based on whether he invites us out/around or not.
    FCN = 4
  • veronese68
    itboffin wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

pub crawl you say?
    Yep, and it's still your round. I'm sure you can crash at CJ's. :lol:
  • veronese68
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    So I will say 'tentative' based on whether he invites us out/around or not.
    Excellent, so a swift one on the way home. Pretty sure they had something Belgian so you can get some practice in.
  • itboffin
    Veronese68 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

pub crawl you say?
    Yep, and it's still your round. I'm sure you can crash at CJ's. :lol:

i'm working in Dubai so a bit of a trek
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Shoot, I’m out of the country. I’ll join round 2 when you get around to organising that. I reckon you’re now the official social secretary. Congrats.
  • itboffin
    It has its perks even today the Morpeth email me with free drinks offers :D
  • mtb-idle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    So I will say 'tentative' based on whether he invites us out/around or not.
    Excellent, so a swift one on the way home. Pretty sure they had something Belgian so you can get some practice in.

Okay, number one son is birthdaying without his parents so I am up for this. It's a working from home day for me so I will likely be in civvies rather than cycling gear unless I decide it's easier riding there and back.

So it's The Canbury Arms in Kingston then?

What is the earliest time anyone will get there so I don't look like a plum wandering around asking random blokes if they are 'Ceejay', Itey-Bee' or 'Rick-Rod' (which reminds me, when I used to MTB there was a guy on one of the forums I used with the handle 'sexpest'. Now try asking some bloke in a forest car-park if he is sexpest...).

And if I do ride what's the score with the bikes and lycra? Are we standing around outside while guarding our steeds or do I need a sturdy lock while we stand around inside in lycra with the regulars looking at us in a mixture of disdain and envy as their other halves swoon over our muscular calves and thighs?

(which also reminds me, an 'art class' suggested that me and my mate might like to pose for them on Saturday as we stopped for tea and a cornish pasty at the tea room at the local community centre at the top of Ide Hill. We declined).
    FCN = 4
  • veronese68
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    So it's The Canbury Arms in Kingston then?
    That's the one, we could sit outside if the weather is good and there are railings a bike can be locked to. I will pass there about 6, dump the bike at home and be back by 6.30 in civvies. I'll PM you my mobile number if you get there any earlier, suppose I could wear my Verona jersey to make me easier to identify.
  • mtb-idle
    Veronese68 wrote:

I'll PM you my mobile number

Got it and returned the favour. See you Thursday. Will decide on the day if it's train or bike
    FCN = 4
  • A good chance I can make this, though I am doubtful on pub choice over the Albion. It may be I get home, into civies and back on the pub bike (I can't be arsed to ride the cargo bike just to cart you lot around Kingston pubs). Only thing on that night is meaning to pop by @smokey bacon to pick up a saddle unless he plans to come to the pub as well?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • veronese68
    I’m quite happy to go to the Albion next time, but left to choose I plumped for a very short walk home.
    Saddle exchange in a pub by men in Lycra that met on the Internet sounds perfectly normal, nothing weird there.
  • itboffin
    where in this thread is the date of the proposed session?
  • mtb-idle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ok, let’s go for next Thursday at the Canbury. I was just thinking in terms of on the way home time for anyone stopping on the way through. I will ditch my bike at home and change quickly then wander down. Should be there by 6:30 even if I take time to talk to the Mrs.

posted last Tuesday..
    FCN = 4
  • veronese68
    Making it this Thursday, the 4th April 2019. You coming Boff?
  • itboffin
    no matey they dont let me out in the UK anymore, mind you i'm off work for half of April just not the first half

:lol: