Locking skewers - best?

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Thinking of some locking skewers for my bike when it’s on our camper van (if we ever get one!)

I know of Pitlock and Pinhead, but are there others out there?

Front and rear wheel (100 & 135mm), possibly seatpost clamp and stem top cap.

Any comments, issues and recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• They are not really locking skewers but i have been using the Halo Hex key ones on a couple of my bikes, including the one i commute/shop on and nobody has stolen my wheels yet... They have actually been very good and the need for an allen key means that impulsive thefts are a bit more difficult.
  • ravit50
    ravit50 Posts: 19
    I’m using these for my TRiban RC520 Gravel
    Trans-X Security Quick Release Skewer Set Black Only £10.80 on Amazon
  • proto wrote:
    Thinking of some locking skewers for my bike when it’s on our camper van (if we ever get one!)

I know of Pitlock and Pinhead, but are there others out there?

Front and rear wheel (100 & 135mm), possibly seatpost clamp and stem top cap.

Any comments, issues and recommendations? Thanks.

We chain our bikes on the rear rack on the camper, through the frame and the wheels.

Taking a wheel off a bike whilst it's on a bike rack would be that easy, not difficult either but would put off most thieves.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    I use the Pitlocks with no issues. The only problems are that they rely on a semi-unique key, and if you lose that you’re stuffed and can’t get your wheel out (that’s why I ordered a spare to keep at home), that it’s more hassle than standard QR to use, and that I think it would have better if the hole in the front of the key allowed you to use an Allen key in the usual way, rather than as a lever inserted in the side.