Getting rid of I-spec clamp

steve_sordy
steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
edited March 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Shimano brake lever body BRMT501 attached by an I-spec clamp to an 11-speed XT M8000 shifter body. I don't know which I-spec clamp it is but the bike is a 2019 model, so I expect it will be the latest one.

I can't get the levers far enough apart as the I-spec clamp does not deliver enough angular separation. The LBS told me that he is not allowed to supply the non-Shimano clamp that is required. He did offer to supply a new shifter body made for bar mounting at the bargain price of £50. That was kind of him, except I can get one from CRC for £35!

What I need is a simple bar clamp that I can mount the existing shifter body onto, after I have detached it from the I-spec mount.
If you know where I can get the right clamp, I would be grateful if you'd point me to it. :)

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    SJS Cycles sell shifter spares.
    I think THIS is the part you need to convert your shifter to bar mount, Steve.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    edited March 2019
    JBA wrote:
    SJS Cycles sell shifter spares.
    I think THIS is the part you need to convert your shifter to bar mount, Steve.

Thanks for the swift response JBA. :)
    There are two parts on that page, the left one looks like the bit I need, but what is the part on the right? Looks like some sort of cover?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    You'll probably need the shifter cover as well as ispec uses its own to allow for the mounting of the shifter to the gear leaver.

Ask sjs cycles they are rather helpful I've found used them many a time for spare bits.

Also check out the shimano tech docs for the shifter as it will give you the shimano part numbers you'll need.
  • steve_sordy
    Many thanks to JBA and swod1. Very helpful indeed. :D
  • JBA
    The other part is the cover, Steve.
    You need both parts and they come as a kit.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    edited March 2019
    These 2 tech docs show what you have and what you need.

Bar clamp shifter: https://si.shimano.com/#/en/EV/SL-M8000

I-Spec shifter: https://si.shimano.com/#/en/EV/SL-M8000-I

Shimano tech docs: https://si.shimano.com/#
  • steve_sordy
    Thanks cobba. :)
  • JBA
    Steve - the kit I linked to from SJS contains the parts labelled 6 and 7 in that bar clamp shifter exploded diagram.

• steve_sordy
    JBA wrote:
    Steve - the kit I linked to from SJS contains the parts labelled 6 and 7 in that bar clamp shifter exploded diagram.

Yep, I spotted that, but thanks anyway. :)
  • steve_sordy
    OK, I did the deed. I now have the brake and shifter bodies on separate clamps. The reason for doing this was to get a bigger angular separation between the brake and shifter levers.

Big confession here, but I'm owning up so that you won't make the same mistake! :oops:

The lever and shifter bodies foul on each other, so I can't get the angular separation anyway! If I move them far enough away along the bar so they don't foul, then I can't reach the brake lever! :!:

It was a waste of money, time and effort! If I had studied the components in detail, I could have made that determination for myself, but I had made this change on other I-spec connected Shimano kit and it had worked very easily. I made the assumption (!) that it would work this time. But the new M8000 kit does not allow this. Bu99er! :x :oops:
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    Steve, people who don't make the odd mistake don't exist, geez I would want a toilet roll to list mine but it's how you get out of a problem that counts.
  • steve_sordy
    gomezz wrote:
    Steve, people who don't make the odd mistake don't exist, geez I would want a toilet roll to list mine but it's how you get out of a problem that counts.

That's very generous of you gomezz. :)

I get along just fine with the Shimnao "finger and thumb" shifting, but I would have preferred to be able to do the "thumb only" shifting that the Shimano shifter allows (like my SRAM set up on my other bike). But I can't have the brake lever where I want it AND get the shifter levers into a position where I can use thumb only. I can live with it quite easily. But there is always room for minor improvements! :)
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    The lever and shifter bodies foul on each other, so I can't get the angular separation anyway! If I move them far enough away along the bar so they don't foul, then I can't reach the brake lever!

Sounds like you had the shifter mounted next to the grip.

Have you tried mounting the shifters on the other side of the brake levers?
  • steve_sordy
    cobba wrote:
    The lever and shifter bodies foul on each other, so I can't get the angular separation anyway! If I move them far enough away along the bar so they don't foul, then I can't reach the brake lever!

Sounds like you had the shifter mounted next to the grip.

Have you tried mounting the shifters on the other side of the brake levers?

Thank you for your suggestion. You are correct, that is exactly how i have the levers set up. Many years ago I discovered that if I put the brake next to the grip and then slide it to where I have the correct single finger braking position, and that if I have the shifter body on the far side of the brakes, then I can't reach the shifter levers by moving my hand from the grip.

If I move everything towards the grip so I can reach the shifter levers, then the brake lever is covering the grip and I can probably get all four fingers on it, and I am not comfortable with that either.

But to answer your question directly, no I have not tried that set up suggestion. I haven't checked, so it may give me the angular separation I am looking for, but I would not be able to take advantage of it.