Rear of pad rubbing

chigwellben
chigwellben Posts: 15
edited March 2019 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I am cycling beginner and just got a specialized allez elite 2019. Absolutely love it, getting faster evryday on my commute and beating PR'S on Strava.
I have one bike issue though. My front brake is rubbing but its only the very back of the pad. which makes me think it probably isnt striking the wheel evenly.
Its very minimal but i can hear it when i ride it. I went to use the little grub screw to centre the caliper today and thats when i realised its only touching a very small section of the rear of the pad.
They are axis dual pivot brakes
It looks like just one hex head screw holds the pad to the block so how can it be setup uneven?

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    The block is likely on a cup fitting which allows you to adjust the way the pad lines up. Loosen the hex head slightly and see if it adjusts. It's also likely that your wheel is slightly array, so try and adjust that as well.
  • Adjust my wheel?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Follow Park Tools excellent video from 2.30 onwards about setting up the pad to rim adjustment. You can't go wrong with this:

https://youtu.be/q4ay12CSF48

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Adjust my wheel?
    Check that it is sitting straight in the drop outs.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Conventional advice was always to toe the brake blocks in so that the front contacts the rim slightly before the rest. I've always had mine dead parallel and never had any problems.

If it's only contacting the rim at one point per revolution the wheel might need a tweak with a spoke key...
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    A tip for toeing in, put a business card between pads and rim at the rear when adjusting the blocks.