New winter commuter mile muncher bike recommendations

aberdeen_lune
aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking for a replacement for my CAAD10 winter bike come cummuter. Lots of the options I see have disc brakes. I’m looking for a rim brake bike with a metal frame (don’t want carbon I have a carbon summer bike).
Any ideas for me other than the obvious CAAD12.
Mostly used for cycling to work 20 minutes, weekend club winter rides, 2 hour rides after work. Plenty of hills around here so I like a lightish bike. Don’t want to pay more than a grand for the frameset. Can buy a complete bike but I’m fussy with saddles , bars etc so usually better for me to buy a frameset and build it to suit my requirements.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    M*le M*nch*r...???
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Kinesis Racelight 4S? Proper mudguard mounts / clearance. Will take discs or long drop calipers.

Or if you want a simpler, cheaper option, their T3?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited March 2019
    Moda Issimo?

https://www.moda-bikes.com/products/mod ... o-frameset

EDIT

Also remembered the Condor Italia if you want mudguard and rack mounts or the Italia RC if you don't want the mounts and want something lighter and racier.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Specialized Allez
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    keef66 wrote:
    Kinesis Racelight 4S? Proper mudguard mounts / clearance. Will take discs or long drop calipers.

Or if you want a simpler, cheaper option, their T3?
    I would deffo recommend that Kinesis 4S but I think the latest version is disc only (I’ve got last years model which I can confirm is disc or rim and love it). There would seem to be a few of the previous version still on sale but I guess it would depend on your size as to whether you can find one.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If it's framesets you are looking for then the Dolan Preffisio is worth a look

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-f ... -6727.html

Rim brakes, mudguard and pannier mounts and space for up to 28mm tyres. Also has a BSA threaded BB which is always a plus point in my book
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. So far the Moda looks the best. That is a lovely looking frameset if only could get a 56 at the discounted price.
    The Kinesis is a good shout too not sure about the aesthetics of the disc mounts if I’m running calipers. Think I’d prefer a rim brake only model.
  • keef66
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. So far the Moda looks the best. That is a lovely looking frameset if only could get a 56 at the discounted price.
    The Kinesis is a good shout too not sure about the aesthetics of the disc mounts if I’m running calipers. Think I’d prefer a rim brake only model.

The T3 is QR / rim brakes only. Just need to pair it with a suitable fork..
  • keef66
    If you're considering the Moda steel frameset, is the Genesis Equilibrium a possibility??

Mind you, the current non disc frameset has an uninspiring grey paint job. The complete bike looks better.
  • ayjaycee
    Trust me, you won't notice unless you spend a lot of time staring at the bike while it's stationary (which would be a bit sad!).
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. So far the Moda looks the best. That is a lovely looking frameset if only could get a 56 at the discounted price.
    Isn't someone from this forum selling their recently built up Moda frameset in the classifieds? Looks a lovely frame....
    viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13104117
    EDIT: I see it sold, sorry, my bad :(
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • creampie
    creampie Posts: 19
    Hi. I have the Dolan and would also recommend, not sure if there is enough room for 28mm tyres, when i contacted Dolan direct they were confident tyre clearance would be enough to except 25mm.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    creampie wrote:
    when i contacted Dolan direct they were confident tyre clearance would be enough to except 25mm.

That's strange. If you look at the first paragraph in the link above it clearly states " capable of running 28mm tyres with full length mudguards"

Crossed wires somewhere along the line.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    arlowood wrote:
    creampie wrote:
    when i contacted Dolan direct they were confident tyre clearance would be enough to except 25mm.

That's strange. If you look at the first paragraph in the link above it clearly states " capable of running 28mm tyres with full length mudguards"

Crossed wires somewhere along the line.

I've experienced this issue with other bikes that claim the same thing. It seems to be that if the tyre really measures up 28mm there's enough clearance but with the trend for wider rims and tyres that are larger than stated often a 28mm tyre is actually 30-31mm in which case it doesn't fit.

Hence the manufacturing saying 25mm max to stay on the safe side.
  • ayjaycee
    The Dolan was also on my list when I first started thinking about a new winter bike but I saw too many comments about it NOT liking wider tyres with full mudguards (I include 28mm in that category). I know we are all different but when I did to ride one I just didn't like it much as I thought it a bit unresponsive and also quite uncomfortable. I do however concede that that could have been down to the finishing kit as much as anything else.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S