Sierra Nevada

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
edited March 2019 in Tour & expedition
We are thinking of heading there for 4 days cycling.

Any suggestions for where to stay and which will give the ability to cycle from the door rather than having to drive.

Previously we have been to Bourg St Maurice, Mallorca, Calpe, Tenerife.

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Shameless plug for my best mates company: https://www.ridesouthernspain.com

He's just opened and doing an introductory offer, £500 for a weeks accommodation and food with guided rides, uplifts / support vehicles, airport transfers etc.

The owner (Andy) is a top level Enduro and XC rider (also a MIAS instructor) who is also very handy on road bike (came 33rd in the Alpajurra Magna).

I'm over there with a group 26-29 Apr this year. The riding out there is magnificent!

47418731761_5370ed783a_z.jpg

33542830898_5442207ec3_z.jpg

47418758991_a7749d56bc_z.jpg

40453134343_2c71319b38_z.jpg

33542876658_788b62f40f_z.jpg

40453082163_022f2049f9_z.jpg
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    My vote would be either Ugijar or Cadiar in the Alpujarras on the southern side of the Sierra. Some great loops rides east and west taking in both sides of the main valley. Also some great loop rides to SE and SW towards the Med.

Expect it to be hilly and extremely pretty. Latest visit was in January where we got some excellent rides in. Can also rain. There is has plenty of accommodation and enough bars and restaurants. Some maps of the area lack detail. I'd recommend the Michelin Zoom 124 Costa del Sol which covers the area pretty well an includes nearly all the minor roads.

Hope this helps
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Ryan_W - thanks for that. Look like a good value holiday. I've shared it with the rest of the crew.

Hdow - also thanks for that. Exploring Google maps just now.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Ryan_W - thanks for that. Look like a good value holiday. I've shared it with the rest of the crew.

It really is.

He'll be happy to guide you or let you do your own thing. We created some amazing routes whilst we were out there late last year. He took us on one route over the Presa de Béznar Dam... Don't look over the edge if you're scared of heights!

Andy now has a habit of sending me pics of pro riders he passes on his rides whilst I'm stuck behind my desk... :evil:

He can accommodate up to around 12 guests I think? I know he's just finished a load of renovation work to his properties and the pools been redone.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    I've literally just returned from there. We stayed in a villa near the town of Salobreña. Nice location to ride out from although at the start and end of each ride there was a 1mi climb @ 8%! We had a rental van too which allowed us to drive to a different start location.

We also came across a couple of Quick-Step pros on training rides.

Happy to share my routes for inspiration. Also check out this site for a non-exhaustive list of notable climbs: http://www.sierranevada.cc/theclimbs.

IePgdTnh.jpg

eEulMnsh.jpg

mVpeBefh.jpg

9XewIuNh.jpg