Another help me with wheel choice thread

velokev
velokev Posts: 20
edited March 2019 in Road general
I'm in the market for a set of deep section carbon rim brake wheels for my Ridley Noah and keep flip flopping between options.... I just need somebody to tell me what to do!

My budget is £1000-£1500, so not enough for the big boys like Zipp/Enve but its alot of money so want to make sure I don't mess up.

Contenders at the moment are Mavic Cometes from sigma sports £1520 or Reynolds AR58x for £1170 from westbrook cycles. I actually like the mavic tubeless tyres that come with the cometes so wouldnt replace them. I'd probably stick GP5000TLs on the reynolds.

I want tubeless, mainly because I like the setup on my ksyrium elite USTs so much.

Looks wise I love the new decals on the 2019 cometes but worry about cross winds.

I'm struggling to find much real world experience at all on the reynolds but they don't have a textured brake track so I'm worried about braking. Also I think i've been spoilt by the ease of fitting UST and moving away from this might be a risk.

I keep looking at Hunts but then I think if I do that then I might as well go full chinese with DT240s hubs...

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    velokev wrote:
    I keep looking at Hunts but then I think if I do that then I might as well go full chinese with DT240s hubs...

....is the right answer. The law of diminishing returns applies...
  • You've got the right checklist

Money no option: Reynolds/ Mavics

Sensible option, some chinese rim with bitex hub cheap as chips, no warranty implied or given. Get two sets, some 65mm and some 30/ 38mm for less windy days
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Sloppy you may know this - are the Reynolds the same brake track as the Strike? Strike braking is fine, I've had no issues what so ever with mine.
    19mm internal on those rims. AR58X are £1300 and the AR58 are £1100. My Strike wheels are a nightmare with changing tyres/tubes. I'm now tubeless - any flats and if it doesn't seal or the anchovy doesn't work then the wife is getting a call.

I've had very expensive wheels, the Strike wheels currently used and also cheaper Chinese rims. Very difficult to say whether there is much difference. I really like the Strike's, but as I'm now older and more wise, I think I'd go to one of the major Chinese brands and I hate saying that as I feel I should be supporting UK shops / brands (even if they are just the shop front)
  • velokev
    Thanks for that info regarding braking on the strikes. The brake track is meant to be a slightly updated version of that used on the strikes so should be OK.

10% discount at Westbrook's at the moment so the "x" is down closer to the non x price.

Word is that they have improved the tyre mounting - tool free for clinchers apparently.

Think heart says comete but head says Reynolds at the moment.

Hate to admit it but think I'm too wrapped up in vanity and "names" to go Chinese.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    velokev wrote:
    Hate to admit it but think I'm too wrapped up in vanity and "names" to go Chinese.

In which case, just buy the wheels which you think look the nicest...
  • velokev wrote:

Lifetime warranty with the Reynolds
  • w00dster wrote:
    Sloppy you may know this - are the Reynolds the same brake track as the Strike? Strike braking is fine, I've had no issues what so ever with mine.
    19mm internal on those rims. AR58X are £1300 and the AR58 are £1100. My Strike wheels are a nightmare with changing tyres/tubes. I'm now tubeless - any flats and if it doesn't seal or the anchovy doesn't work then the wife is getting a call.

I've had very expensive wheels, the Strike wheels currently used and also cheaper Chinese rims. Very difficult to say whether there is much difference. I really like the Strike's, but as I'm now older and more wise, I think I'd go to one of the major Chinese brands and I hate saying that as I feel I should be supporting UK shops / brands (even if they are just the shop front)

I assume its the same, nothing special I also have some chinese specials with the 'basalt' braking surface. Now that is much better than standard carbon and exalith on the Mavics. Eats brake pads mind.
  • velokev
    velokev wrote:

Lifetime warranty with the Reynolds

And they use spokes that you can actually buy if you break one.... but the cometes are so pretty.

To be honest I'm fairly happy that nobody has said that I shouldn't buy either of them so I'll probably be happy whatever.

The sane choice would be Chinese but don't think thats the why I'm going to go on this build.