Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Buying FS recommendation budget £1600

_kramer_kramer Posts: 21
edited March 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I’m planning to get a full suspension bike, we have cycle to work scheme at work which I’m planning to use but ofc that’s only up to £1000 ‘great’ but the bikes I’m looking at are above that so I’m going to put some of my money. But I want to get something that’s worth the money, budget is £1600 all together.

I'm 5'7 so I think my size will fall into Small/Medium, I have bizango which is a Small size but that varies on brands anyways.

Bikes i’m currently looking at or if you have any other recommendation please do add suggest them in your comment
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vit ... prod179057
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/mo ... nge_382983
https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-fluid ... e-EV337724

Also waiting for the Calibre Beastnut from Go Outdoors seems to have good reviews.

Also found out that a friend is selling his Giant Trance '2014' but can't find the colour (Medium I think its the right size) with fox suspensions I believe its the stock 140mm, XT drivetrain 1×11 and few upgrades for £600. The bike is in mint condition and been well looked after. Been serviced including fork except the rear suspension but seems to be okay.

So I either get this and use the cycle-to-work scheme for new parts if necessary, other accessories and etc?

https://i.ibb.co/hRjt2wS/54372076-2243665172517237-3098176986841874432-n.jpg
54372076-2243665172517237-3098176986841874432-n.jpg

Posts

  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,622
    That's a Trance SX 2014. It should have Zee chain set and 10-speed but may have been changed by the owner.
    If it's your size I would snap it up at £600.
    Use the money you save to repair/replace anything that is worn out or not to your liking, although judging from that photo it looks to be in excellent condition.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

    Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • _kramer_kramer Posts: 21
    JBA wrote:
    That's a Trance SX 2014. It should have Zee chain set and 10-speed but may have been changed by the owner.
    If it's your size I would snap it up at £600.
    Use the money you save to repair/replace anything that is worn out or not to your liking, although judging from that photo it looks to be in excellent condition.

    Thanks for the confirmation of the trance, yes the drivetrain have been changed to XT 1x11 set which is a nice upgrade I think. There's a little play on the saddle but I think its the contact point from the saddle to the post, it has a dropper seat so another good point.

    Finally found the original spec of that trance, but can't find the right size chart. I'm a bit confused how's the sizing guide of Giant. I'm 5'7 and the chart says my size is in between small and medium :lol:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-sx-27dot5-2014 I think its the right one, so its 140mm travel if the fork is closed and 160mm when its fully open?
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,622
    edited March 2019
    Here's the Trance SX sizing chart for 2016. The frame and geometry didn't change between 2014 and 2016 so it should be a good guide for you. At 5' 7" you are in between S and M, depending on your inside leg measurement. However, reach is equally, if not more important than standover height so you need to try the bike for size and see how it feels.

    The fork has travel adjust so can be run at either 140mm or 160mm.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

    Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • _kramer_kramer Posts: 21
    JBA wrote:
    Here's the Trance SX sizing chart for 2016. The frame and geometry didn't change between 2014 and 2016 so it should be a good guide for you.

    The fork has travel adjust so can be run at either 140mm or 160mm.

    Thanks, I was looking at this chart but not sure if its right.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_ ... e_size.pdf

    Ah right, it says there I should be in Small :/ inside leg is 30" and medium is 31". Is that gonna make a big difference?
  • JoebristolJoebristol Posts: 326
    Looking at that geo chart it’s a very short bike in terms of reach, yet has long chainstays. They don’t list the seat tube height though. As long as you can sit and pedal ok with the dropper fully extended I’d go with the medium. Still pretty short vs the other bikes on your list I’d imagine (I haven’t checked them though). My medium Vitus hardtail has a reach of 445mm I think. My Aeris is fully long low and slack and the ML size is like 480mm.

    One of the guys I ride with is 5’7 and he’s either on a medium or Medium Long Aeris - both of which are a good chunk longer than the Trance.
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,747
    _kramer wrote:
    Ah right, it says there I should be in Small :/ inside leg is 30" and medium is 31". Is that gonna make a big difference?
    Eh, for a given height the shorter your leg the bigger the frame you need (for reach).
  • CroptonboyCroptonboy Posts: 164
    If it's a friends bike, surely he'll let you try it out before you buy it?

    Size charts are one thing, but getting on the bike and seeing how it feels is another...
  • _kramer_kramer Posts: 21
    The Rookie wrote:
    _kramer wrote:
    Ah right, it says there I should be in Small :/ inside leg is 30" and medium is 31". Is that gonna make a big difference?
    Eh, for a given height the shorter your leg the bigger the frame you need (for reach).

    Really? that seems to be the other way around?
    Croptonboy wrote:
    If it's a friends bike, surely he'll let you try it out before you buy it? Size charts are one thing, but getting on the bike and seeing how it feels is another...

    Yeah I have tried it but only for a short period, I asked if I can test it on a trail so I can actually test it properly without crashing ofc. I might as well take it to the shop at the trail park and see what they'll say about the sizing, hope they can help :lol: but still waiting for my mates response to my request hah.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,184
    Get the trance mate is 5ft 8 and struggled on a small framed one. I've test ridden both small and medium trance and anthem and I'm 5ft 8 but only 29 legs. Got the medium anthem in the end.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,747
    _kramer wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    _kramer wrote:
    Ah right, it says there I should be in Small :/ inside leg is 30" and medium is 31". Is that gonna make a big difference?
    Eh, for a given height the shorter your leg the bigger the frame you need (for reach).

    Really? that seems to be the other way around?
    Think about it. If you're 5'8" with a 31" inside leg then the rest is 37", if you are 5'8" with a 29" inside leg then the rest is 39", the longer torso leant forward (as you sit on an MTB) needs a longer frame.

    I'm 5'9.5" with pretty short legs for my height, I need longer frames to accomodate my torso or I feel cramped even though on many bikes it leaves very little standover.

    Saddle height is pretty much infinitely adjustable, bike length (saddle to bars) is not.
  • robertpbrobertpb Posts: 1,866
    Plus people with short legs means the saddle is lower so they are closer to the bars.

    I'm the opposite only 5' 4", use to be 5' 5" shrinkage as you get to my age, but my inside leg is 31" saddle height is 33.5" from the pedals, so I end up further back on the bike but with a short torso a stretch to the bars.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • core00core00 Posts: 169
    Thanks, I'm thinking of getting the trance due to its price and condition. One last thing, what's the easiest way to identify if there's something wrong with the shock? As the shock wasn't serviced last time he service the bike, I know the bike is in very good condition but just want to be sure.

    Thanks
  • core00core00 Posts: 169
    Also does anyone know what's the length drop of the stock dropper post on trance sx 2014?
Sign In or Register to comment.