Frame dilemma

Darrell31367
Darrell31367 Posts: 24
edited March 2019 in Road general
I’ve got a 2017 Specialized Alez Elite that now runs a Tiagra groupset, Fulcrum Quattro Racing wheels, S Works carbon bars and seatpost along with S Works saddle and bar stem.

It’s a lovely bike, fast and as comfy as a pair of slippers. It’s my go-to bike.

But I’ve seen a Bianchi Via Nirone frame for sale for a decent price. Is there anything to gain by changing frames apart from snob value and a lovely colour? (Both of which I’m happy with).

Comments

• Who the hell would swap an Allez for a Bianchi!!??
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Depends which Bianchi, of course.

I'd keep the Allez. The Via Nirone isn't an upgrade in the slightest.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Depends which Bianchi, of course.

I'd keep the Allez. The Via Nirone isn't an upgrade in the slightest.

Wot e sed - The Allez if a very good bike as you have already stated. As to snob value with the Bianchi, only a fool would be sucked into that one.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Interesting views.
    It’s funny re the Alez frame because when I bought mine I think it was £900, my bro in law bought the Allez Sport which is the exact same frame but lesser running gear for £600.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Interesting views.
    It’s funny re the Alez frame because when I bought mine I think it was £900, my bro in law bought the Allez Sport which is the exact same frame but lesser running gear for £600.

Not sure why that would surprise you?
  • Because I’m thinking that the Allez frame isn’t as good as the Bianchi.
  • imposter2.0
    Because I’m thinking that the Allez frame isn’t as good as the Bianchi.

I'd be interested to hear the logic behind that assumption...?
  • Guys,
    I’m just asking some advice here and all I’m getting is a load of people taking the piss.

For example the answer “Who the hell swaps an Allez for a Bianchi?” isn’t very helpful or constructive.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The nirone isn't a very expensive frame. It's probably about the same as yours - depending on the version.

I'd not bother with it. You'll probably find that bits of your groupset aren't compatible and end up spending a lot of money getting it up and running.
  • imposter2.0
    Guys,
    I’m just asking some advice here and all I’m getting is a load of people taking the wee-wee.

For example the answer “Who the hell swaps an Allez for a Bianchi?” isn’t very helpful or constructive.

You said the Allez frame isn't as good as the Bianchi - I'm just asking you why you think that?
  • Ben6899
    Guys,
    I’m just asking some advice here and all I’m getting is a load of people taking the wee-wee.

My first reply, mate. Keep the Allez.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • [/quote]You said the Allez frame isn't as good as the Bianchi - I'm just asking you why you think that?[/quote]

Did I??
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Guys,

Thanks Ben. Why’s that though?
  • imposter2.0
    You said the Allez frame isn't as good as the Bianchi - I'm just asking you why you think that?

Did I??

Yes, you did...
    Because I’m thinking that the Allez frame isn’t as good as the Bianchi.

So, let me ask you again - why do you think that?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If it's the one in the for sale section here on BR (which you have been posting in!) then I suspect the sellers comments about it being '100% better' because 'It's Italian and it's Celeste' were meant to be tongue in cheek! You have already said that your Allez is 'a lovely bike, fast and as comfy as a pair of slippers' so how much better do you expect the Bianchi to be? I suspect your being sucked in the name on and colour of the frame and seem to have already made up your mind.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Specialized is jointly owned by Merida (49%) so probably a Merida frame which are pretty much ranked 2nd in quality for mass produced frames behind Giant. Bianchi frames could be sourced from any factory in the far east. A video from a few years ago shows they were sourced at that time from fuji-ta in mainland China but they could have moved to Cambodia or Bangladesh now because many brands are often changing factories to obtain the best price and margin. I've got a Muddyfox road bike frame made by fuji-ta it's very well welded and decent although lacks the double or triple butting of higher end models so a little heavy, the frame appears to be then exported to Bangladesh for assembly of the bike, Cannondale used fuji-ta frames from mainland China and then had final assembly in Taiwan or Vietnam in the past, this was often done to avoid EU additional duties. The italian bike industry seems export driven, selling based on their cycling heritage and history but personally I don't see much point in that when its effectively a brand slap on a bike from the far east. Don't get me wrong though there is nothing wrong with fuji-ta frames, they are great quality I just feel Merida are better and there is also the concern that we just don't know what factory Bianchi use for sure for their frames. Sometimes frame quality is reflected in the frame warranty and weight limits. If they are using a lower end factory but want to still have a competitive bike weight they may limit warranty and weight limits so they can buy a weaker frame. Saying that I don't know how Specialized and Bianchi compare in that regard but the weight limits are often dictated by the certification process and series of destructive frame tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yn5kIpIrv0&t=64s
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Guys,

Thanks Ben. Why’s that though?

The Allez is a better frame.
    Ben