Sell whole or split down

twg1
twg1 Posts: 13
edited March 2019 in Road general
Started cycling a year or so ago and have now worked out what i am after in a bike and just ordered a new one.

I have mine advertised in a couple of places , but a few pals have suggested it may get a better return if i split it down and sell it off as parts .

Thought i would pose the question and see what experiances forum users have had .

Comments

• Depends on the components. Splitting may also be easier if you use eBay or whatever as the postage is cheaper and more straight forward than trying to post a whole bike. If you've got a desirable frame, good wheels and good condition groupset then that might be the way to go. Also factor in your time in stripping it down and packing each part up for sale. Is it worth it? Only you can really answer that.

But really, you should just keep it as a second bike. Seriously.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Tell us literally anything about the old bike (IE why it wasn't what you wanted in a bike?) and we might be in a better position to answer.

If it's a typical first bike it's likely that the parts are nothing special and so worth sod all second hand - and the bike will almost definitely do better being sold complete to another new cyclist.

If it's high end, then the likelihood is greater that the buyer will want to customise it to their own tastes (or wouldn't be able to afford to buy the bike with components in one shot) - and so it's more likely that parting out a high end bike will yield better returns.

Really though, if you want to pursue cycling as a hobby it is easy to justify two bikes, means you don't have to ride your 'best' bike in bad weather, and have a spare while you repair the other bike (which saves a lot of money in bike shop repair fees).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Parting out the bike will inevitably mean that you will not sell everything - and it's possible that you may end up with some (perhaps significant) parts, which nobody wants, or that you can't shift.
  • twg1
    Hi

Need to funds for the new one really , i did not want to post up the bike info in case it was taken as an add!

Its a look 765 with ultegra mavic alloy wheels in large std bike . I have had it about a year and a half to get me fit. I really like the bike but a tad small and i want to use larger tires and this does not have the clearance to allow what i want to use.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Have a look at the sold prices on ebay , tot them up and see what you might get complete and in parts. Unless there is a significant difference in favour of parting it out I'd sell it complete as it'd mean more time, effort and possibly some associated costs. You've also got more chance of someone claiming you've not posted the goods and all that stuff if you part it out whereas if you can sell complete and get cash it's job done.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    You'll take a serious financial hit selling that on......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • twg1
    I know it will sting and prepared for that but need to get funds in to put towards the new bike , in some ways I see it as it's earned its money. I got me on the road to fitness again and had a pretty major impact on my health.

I am trying to avoid parting it off for the reasons mentioned but wanted to see what others had done.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    is it only the wider tyres you want?

can you not make adjustments to fit? beware the marketing hype....

Ill give you £500 for it
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    is it only the wider tyres you want?

can you not make adjustments to fit? beware the marketing hype....

Ill give you £500 for it

I agree with this. 28 - 30mm tyres just don't feel that different to 25mm ones.

If you really want a slightly softer road feel why not change to carbon wheels? Also run tubeless tyres at lower pressures, that'll do as much as using wider tyres and you won't lose a ton of money.
  • twg1
    Its a little more than just tires , for me its also making the switch to discs and tubless and a frame which gives me the option to run a wide range of tire options . Ultimatly a frame which seems better fit overall.

Carbon wheels as well if i can shift the look , part of me would like to keep it as its the bike that got me fit again . But its not going to get riden.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I had the same thing when I bought my new bike a couple of years ago.
    So I stuck it up for sale on here and it sold within a couple of hours.

I'd try selling as a whole and then look at splitting if it doesn't sell.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    If the bike is still in good condition then you could try trading it in against a new bike, so long as the new bike you have chosen is available from a bricks/mortar shop and not online.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    TWG1 wrote:
    Its a little more than just tires , for me its also making the switch to discs and tubless and a frame which gives me the option to run a wide range of tire options . Ultimatly a frame which seems better fit overall.

Carbon wheels as well if i can shift the look , part of me would like to keep it as its the bike that got me fit again . But its not going to get riden.

Blimey spending thousands to get discs and wider tyres is fine, its your money but you wont get that much difference or improvement.
    wait a few months and get something when the new duraace comes out and current models get heavily subsidised because 12 gear is so much better......
  • twg1
    Well no need to worry about splitting it as it sold tonight about an hour after I brought the new one home !