Commuting Cyclo cross bike ?

Tone C
Tone C Posts: 30
edited May 2019 in Commuting general
Well, I have the option to get a new bike up to £1000 . Yes, it's another C2W scheme. I can use Evans or Halfords mainly although I may be able to use other companies, those are the main 2.

We're into the realms of N+1 again, I have a decent XC mountain bike, a trail full susser, a retro steel Rockhopper and a hybrid which I rarely use.

I'm after something that's a bit of a compromise in some ways...a reasonably quick commuting bike but also I'm after something I can stick skinnier tyres on and possibly use on road for longer distances with friends for days out but still have the possibility to go off road onto tracks and bridleways or worse if I so chose( although I'd swap tyres out if I knew that would happen)

So im after something that can take a bit of a battering as there's a lot of country roads around here with potholes etc. I may just do road rides on some days , on others I may mix it up and link routes up using off road stuff...

I thought about an adventure bike (marketing ploy ?) But I spent a while talking to someone in Halfords today who I trust , the guy lives and breathes bikes and he suggested that rather than go that route that I may want to look at a cyclo cross bike..

Boardman CXR 8.9 Cyclocross Bike is what he suggested

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reId=10001

I was a bit leery at first but he thinks the geometry is better for me coming from a MTB background, the frame can take tyres up to 40mm, the frame would work better for a heavy guy like me with short legs and a long torso ( which did impress me, something he saw without me saying anything )

It runs 1x11 which I already have on my full susser and I can winch my fat bum up everything I've tried on it so far . Even if I do have issues, swapping out the front ring is easy enough for a smaller one. The brake hoods are supposed to be comfier to hold onto as the non Shimano ones don't have a bulky reservoir that feels awkward to hang onto and the hand position is more natural...

Any input guys n girls please ? This wouldn't be used for racing on, rather as a fastish tough commuting bike with the ability to link up off road routes ( not full blown trails ) and with the possibility of swapping out tyres to go on longer road rides. I realise it's going to be heavier than dedicated road bikes and that it has a more upright position than a full on road bike...

Thanks.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can't see that bike but if I had to have just one bike I'd keep my cross bike and swap the wheels and tyres over. It's ,95% as good as my summer road bike. So yes. Sounds like a good plan. I'd prefer a double chainset but you seem happy with the 1x.
  • Tone C
    edited March 2019
      cougie wrote:
      Can't see that bike but if I had to have just one bike I'd keep my cross bike and swap the wheels and tyres over. It's ,95% as good as my summer road bike. So yes. Sounds like a good plan. I'd prefer a double chainset but you seem happy with the 1x.

I did query it at the time about a double but he says the range of gears is close enough to make little difference and as said, I can fit a smaller front ring if needed...

Hopefully the link works now.

Edit, my apologies I Should have said thanks..
    • cookeeemonster
      cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
      It depends on how fast you wanna go regarding the 1x chainset. For commuting and off road it's fine...for sprints and so on not so much...but if you're not racing or segment hunting it should be fine. The only time I've found a problem with gearing was on a medium to fast club ride when everyone else was on normal road bikes and gearing...harder to find the right gear etc

Cx bike would certainly be a good choice, I did the same for a couple years. I wouldn't be arsed with all the faff of changing tyres constantly though, a separate set of wheels would be better tbh
    • Tone C
      Thanks for the replies folks. I don't see any club Rides in my future anytime soon. Looks like the spare wheels may be the way to go. Wheel (sorry) cost up the extra set too...
    • ravit50
      ravit50 Posts: 19
      Just picked up the TRiban RC 520 Gravel today.
      Check out the decathlon website for the specs.
    • Tone C
      As it turned out I couldn't get the Cyclo cross bike from Halfords. Ended up with a Pinnacle Arkose D2 from Evans in the end. Must admit I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I have so far. Very comfy, nippy , corners well and best of all...it's fun ! Cheers for your advice folks.