Really? What the actual fudge!

2»

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    A shite hawk is a seagull. Hence why you see some boats named Sky Talk
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Quite often you see companies called Expotel - telecoms. Comes from the redundancies caused when the post office separated from BT - ex post office telecommunications.

Getting back to the point. My grandfather based in Sudan etc - now we know the fake attribution trick - used to have a one metre - sorry it would be three feet length of fishing line hooked at either end and baited to be thrown off the end (stern?) of his Sudan boat (not the Mersey Ferry of course - by any means) and although I would despise such 100 year old behaviour, he found it funny to go Shite Hawk fishing. But I'm not as bad as Capt Slog because I, obviously, did not do it.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    How does the fudge fairy at the fete make a profit anyway,just mulling.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Lagrange wrote:
    Quite often you see companies called Expotel - telecoms. Comes from the redundancies caused when the post office separated from BT - ex post office telecommunications.

Getting back to the point. My grandfather based in Sudan etc - now we know the fake attribution trick - used to have a one metre - sorry it would be three feet length of fishing line hooked at either end and baited to be thrown off the end (stern?) of his Sudan boat (not the Mersey Ferry of course - by any means) and although I would despise such 100 year old behaviour, he found it funny to go Shite Hawk fishing. But I'm not as bad as Capt Slog because I, obviously, did not do it.

:?:

The older I get, the better I was.

• cougie wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:
    It's the mechanics of it that are baffling me - how the heck did he get hold of the seagull to batter it against the wall? He's no spring chicken and seagulls are very competent flyers.

At the point where he'd wounded it anyway it's surely a question of 'putting it out of it's misery' - certainly it doesn't in principle sound much worse than the way that they are humanely disposed of - ie being trapped in a cage for some period of time, then having their neck broken/head chopped off.

We do have some funny double standards where it comes to animal treatment in this country - would he have received the same punishment for having stamped on a rat?

Not sure about rats but it is illegal to kill a seagull.

Yup, rats too:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/g ... d-11554960

Was curious myself whether animal cruelty laws apply to rats so I googled rat cruelty. They do.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    You can kill vermin but you just need to do it humanely. Smashing it against a wall isn't humane. Stomping on a rat in a bag isn't neither but I've seen that done at my old place of work.

However a terrier killing a rabbit is actually very humane. They just have the instinct from very young to dispatch animals cleanly in most cases. However rats are something else. They will try and fight back if cornered believe it or not. Any terrier used for ratting will kill the rat quickly and cleanly once caught but it'll be scarred badly through the course of their ratting career.

I personally do not get involved in vermin control but I've a terrier that has done what a terrier was originally bred for. It was quick, a matter of seconds to catch the rabbit and once caught it died instantly. We will try to stop that behaviour if possible but it's in our dog. Especially now it's done it once.

PS if it gets any more rabbits I want to take it for the pot of it was healthy and big enough. It is kind of more respectful to it doing that. More part of nature if you get my meaning.

Anyhow people are cruel to animals and as much as we hate rats as a society, they're an amazing animal deserving respect. Same with seagulls. They fill a purpose in the natural world and more a part of it than we are.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,197
    They fill a purpose in the natural world and more a part of it than we are.

You've changed your tune slightly.

I like rodents. Again, too many of them is a problem but proliferation is borne out of our activities.

I'm not sure why the Seagull went without as much as a bye or leave. Was he supposed to ask politely "Excuse me sir, i'm very sorry to bother you but do you think I could pinch your steak?" ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    I got mugged for my chips by a seagull in Mevagissey on a cycle holiday. Barsteward knew exactly what (s)he was doing, while I was sitting minding my own business eating my chip supper taking in the view, it landed on my head to make me jump and spill food onto the ground, which I did and a mob of gulls were there in a millisecond. Smart.