How the fuck are you supposed to install an inner brake cable into a Sora shifter???

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited March 2019 in Workshop
I've been trying for bloody ages and I cannot get it in. It is a terrible design. You cannot see what you are doing. You're stabbbing around in the dark. It's ridiculous.

Comments

• bungle73
    Thanks, but that doesn't correspond with what I've got. I can't find any cover to take off.
  • bungle73
    Somehow you're supposed to thread it through from the front, but it is impossible because you cannot see what you are doing. What an utterly terrible design.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Different version maybe ?

Anything here -
    viewtopic.php?t=12906559
  • bungle73
    cougie wrote:
    Different version maybe ?

Anything here -
    viewtopic.php?t=12906559

Thanks, I already found this: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-ST0001-05-ENG.pdf . Which is the one I have.

Apparently, the secret is to move the shift lever to the side while you're doing it, and that makes if a hell of lot easier.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I've been trying for bloody ages and I cannot get it in. It is a terrible design. You cannot see what you are doing. You're stabbbing around in the dark. It's ridiculous.

Turn a light on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Saw the incredulous title..... Knew this would be a bungle thread...
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Somehow you're supposed to thread it through from the front, but it is impossible because you cannot see what you are doing. What an utterly terrible design.

Where did you get the cable from? They robbed you
  • bungle73
    Imposter wrote:
    Saw the incredulous title..... Knew this would be a bungle thread...

That's because I only end up here as a last resort when I'm at the end of my tether.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:

Where did you get the cable from? They robbed you

Huh?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Gold.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bungle73
    Pinno wrote:
    Gold.

I'm so glad you find other people's frustrations amusing. Here's something else for you to consider, FUCK OFF!.
  • pinno
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Gold.

I'm so glad you find other people's frustrations amusing. Here's something else for you to consider, fark OFF!.

Again, you have been given good advice (with a heap of patience) as there are people willing to help but that help seems to always fall on stony ground.
    The link (and I am not a Shimano man),shows things clealy (use ctrl + to enlarge) seems to be straightforward, given a little bit of patience.
  • bungle73
    Is it actually possible to come here with a problem and not get mocked? It doesn't seem like it. Internet bullying is the most childish form of expression.
  • bungle73
    Pinno wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Gold.

I'm so glad you find other people's frustrations amusing. Here's something else for you to consider, fark OFF!.

Again, you have been given good advice (with a heap of patience) as there are people willing to help but that help seems to always fall on stony ground.
    The link (and I am not a Shimano man),shows things clealy (use ctrl + to enlarge) seems to be straightforward, given a little bit of patience.

"Gold" is "good advice" is it? On what planet is that then?
  • pinno
    Bungle: Breathe in aaaaaaand breathe out.
  • bungle73
    Pinno wrote:

I don't need relaxation advice from a bully, thanks.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pinno wrote:

And repeat ! Don't forget that bit !
  • The answer of course is "do what it says in the manual". If you can't do that, take to to a trained mechanic who can and pay them.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Honestly bungle, take it to your local bike shop , it’s a 5 minute job.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    If you can't make sense of the manual, there is always YouTube e.g.

https://youtu.be/8zLXiNwVwDI

That's changing an Ultegra so might be slightly different but there are loads of different videos out there (just search something like "replace gear cables Shimano on the YouTube app or website).

If that fails and the manual fails, bike shop.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Be careful with the bike shop though, as they might try to 'do a Merlin' on you and try to charge you for what you ask them to do.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Buy a fixie. Or take up poetry.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    I assume you have also removed the cable outer from where it enters the shifter so you can pull the cable through? The only reason I can see you having any difficulties is if you haven't done this.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    i.bhamra wrote:
    I assume you have also removed the cable outer from where it enters the shifter so you can pull the cable through? The only reason I can see you having any difficulties is if you haven't done this.

Why would you do this? It would mean re-wrapping your bars every time you replaced a brake/gear cable (if it is under the tape routing).

If the outer is properly installed it is simple to thread the brake cable through. Good daylight or a Nerd-light strapped to your head helps.

On my Sora shifters I find it easier to remove the cable stop/yoke bar thing first, thread it on the cable then feed it through the shifter and re-seat the yoke on the lever with a smear of grease on the ends to keep it sweet.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    i.bhamra wrote:

Why would you do this? It would mean re-wrapping your bars every time you replaced a brake/gear cable (if it is under the tape routing).

If the outer is properly installed it is simple to thread the brake cable through. Good daylight or a Nerd-light strapped to your head helps.

On my Sora shifters I find it easier to remove the cable stop/yoke bar thing first, thread it on the cable then feed it through the shifter and re-seat the yoke on the lever with a smear of grease on the ends to keep it sweet.

I wouldn't necessarily (although I don't find I need to replace cables that often so the bar tape usually wants replacing anyway and then why not just replace outers while I'm at it...?), just trying to think about what might be causing a usually trivial swap to become difficult. If the outer isn't seated perfectly or is a but chewed up at the end or whatever then it would definitely lead to difficulties.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    i.bhamra wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily (although I don't find I need to replace cables that often so the bar tape usually wants replacing anyway and then why not just replace outers while I'm at it...?), just trying to think about what might be causing a usually trivial swap to become difficult. If the outer isn't seated perfectly or is a but chewed up at the end or whatever then it would definitely lead to difficulties.

True. However I think the reason the OP is having problems is that some people are naturally adept and doing stuff and others most definitely are not...... :wink:

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Alejandrosdog
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    i.bhamra wrote:

True. However I think the reason the OP is having problems is that some people are naturally adept and doing stuff and others most definitely are not...... :wink:

I doff my cap to you for the gentle way you put that.
  • bungle73
    Never have I been a member of a forum where so many people are so well and truly up themselves.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Never have I been a member of a forum where so many people are so well and truly up themselves.
    everyone has tried to help and given advice, in all of your threads. I don't recall you helping oferrig help to anyone. Getting shirty because you don't like the advice given just makes you look arrogant, ill-informed and lazy. Brexiteer?