Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Really? What the actual fudge!

edited March 2019 in The bottom bracket
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-47557456

He killed a censored bird. A common P.O.S type bird thats largely considered a nuisance. Maybe the judge would have been more forgiving if the seagull had been on a bicycle.

Fined for killing a seagull! Says it all about our justice system. There'l be fines for fartin next.
«1

Posts

  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 652
    What purpose of imposing a night time curfew? During the day he could lure them in with chips and deep fried mars bars and spend the night having sex with them. On the other hand glad that I'm not a seagull.
  • kingstongrahamkingstongraham Posts: 17,511
    "£85 victim surcharge"?
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 3,394
    "£85 victim surcharge"?

    Payable in all criminal cases upon conviction, regardless of whether there is a victim or not.
  • wongataawongataa Posts: 940
    "£85 victim surcharge"?
    The victim surcharge is not for the particular victim of the crime being prosecuted. It goes into a pot to be that is used for compensation payouts in general.
  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 652
    Luckily it is 'the beak' who decides the surcharge and not the victim - although in this case beak might apply to both.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,588
    wongataa wrote:
    "£85 victim surcharge"?
    The victim surcharge is not for the particular victim of the crime being prosecuted. It goes into a pot to be that is used for compensation payouts in general.

    Helping seagulls to buy their own chips.


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    If the seagull steals my chips can I get a victim payout to replace them? Seriously they're vermin at times as bad as pigeons. The council should control them a bit in some places.
  • norvernrobnorvernrob Posts: 1,431
    Maybe he shouldn’t have repeatedly smashed it against a wall whilst people were watching. Absolute knobhead that deserves fining.

    I would have just punched the seagull and called it even. :lol:
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,843
    Gulls' lives matter. #chipstoo
  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 652
    Seagull needed the chips more than he did - fat forker. Nasty shirt choice too.
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 15,628
    Given a 12 week curlew.
    What's he going to do with that?
  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 652
    I'd have preferred a blackbird.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,588
    It was just a lark.


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    He sounds like a POS human being to me. If he kills a bird for that - you know he'd be worse behind a wheel of a car.
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    It's the mechanics of it that are baffling me - how the heck did he get hold of the seagull to batter it against the wall? He's no spring chicken and seagulls are very competent flyers.

    At the point where he'd wounded it anyway it's surely a question of 'putting it out of it's misery' - certainly it doesn't in principle sound much worse than the way that they are humanely disposed of - ie being trapped in a cage for some period of time, then having their neck broken/head chopped off.

    We do have some funny double standards where it comes to animal treatment in this country - would he have received the same punishment for having stamped on a rat?
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    We're were having a chat about this in the office and I was reminded of this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pq4usG-P7E
  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 652
    The bird deserved to die - it was behaving like an animal.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    TimothyW wrote:
    It's the mechanics of it that are baffling me - how the heck did he get hold of the seagull to batter it against the wall? He's no spring chicken and seagulls are very competent flyers.

    At the point where he'd wounded it anyway it's surely a question of 'putting it out of it's misery' - certainly it doesn't in principle sound much worse than the way that they are humanely disposed of - ie being trapped in a cage for some period of time, then having their neck broken/head chopped off.

    We do have some funny double standards where it comes to animal treatment in this country - would he have received the same punishment for having stamped on a rat?

    Not sure about rats but it is illegal to kill a seagull.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,590
    MrB123 wrote:
    "£85 victim surcharge"?

    Payable in all criminal cases upon conviction, regardless of whether there is a victim or not.
    I wonder whether that applies in blasphemy cases? - possibly the ultimate victimless crime.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,843
    Blasphemy law abolished England and Wales 2008. Still present in Scotland, last prosecuted 1843, and in Nurn Ironed, where I guess prosecution is a pretty regular sort of thing to happen, them being somewhat 19th century in their attutudes to life.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,525
    Semi Final: Seagull 1 - Man 1

    Final: Justice system 1 - Man 0

    Seagull/Justice system 2 - Man 1.

    Man looses over two legs. Yay.

    We create the problem of waste. Seagulls prosper on our waste. Why is it that the Seagull's/Pigeons are at fault here? We need to sort our bloody censored out and then the feral bird population isn't causing a nuisance.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    You don't think the issue is that seagull failed to respect that a human has the capacity to grab it and bash it to death?

    I don't think it'd have happened if the seagull had been eating out of the bin.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,525
    TimothyW wrote:
    You don't think the issue is that seagull failed to respect that a human has the capacity to grab it and bash it to death?

    I am struggling to see which of the two protagonists is genetically more evolved.

    Fat bloke a) looks like he needs to eat less chips b) eating chips out doors/walking down the street is surely asking for trouble and c) if he is in an area where there are seagulls 'operating', should have considered what he was doing in the first place.

    It's hardly the Gull's fault if some fat [email protected] is waving chips around. Was killing an animal over a chip really necessary? I would have dropped a few on the ground and legged it. If I ate chips.

    Perhaps he is too fat to leg it and therein lies the problem.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    The problem is people feeding pigeons and seagulls. When that starts they all learn the new behaviour of getting food from humans. It gets passed down generations and tbh becomes a problem. You do hear of seagulls attacking humans and property because of no fear of humans.

    I don't agree with this bloke but I do feel there's good reason to reduce the levels of these birds where there's a problem. Also fining people who feed the birds. There's a guy who buys grain to feed the pigeons and seagulls near West end of morecambe. He's been prosecuted serveral times but he still comes back. These birds learn his habits and there's likely to be a lot of birds waiting for him. He's still at it. BTW I heard from locals who know him who say he has a few mental health issues / beginnings of dementia. But come to think of it he's not been around for some time so perhaps problem sorted.

    It's certainly a case of human created problem.
  • kingstongrahamkingstongraham Posts: 17,511
    MrB123 wrote:
    "£85 victim surcharge"?

    Payable in all criminal cases upon conviction, regardless of whether there is a victim or not.

    There was a victim here - he had his chips stolen.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,525
    The seagull was acting in the fat man's interest. The fat man killed the thing which was acting in his interest.
    Fat man dies of heart attack. [hypothetically]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,010
    I have had a seagull take my last bit of a Philps steak pasty while holidaying in Cornwall, right out of my hand, without so much as a "by your leave". If I could have caught it, I'd have given it a stern talking to. Mainly because I'm fcuking terrified of seagulls, with their beady eyes and massive beaks.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,525
    hopkinb wrote:
    ...I'm fcuking terrified of seagulls...

    I thought you were hard as hardened re-enforced nails?
    What about Bats? Come on a late evening ride in summer and bats pick up insects in the bike lights. It's magic.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,010
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    ...I'm fcuking terrified of seagulls...

    I thought you were hard as hardened re-enforced nails?
    What about Bats? Come on a late evening ride in summer and bats pick up insects in the bike lights. It's magic.

    Bats are fine. No beady eyes or beaks.

    I'm not sure where my hard man reputation comes from. I'm fond of a sprint, that's all.

    I'm soft as shyte. I love everyone except people who don't think.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,588
    hopkinb wrote:
    I have had a seagull take my last bit of a Philps steak pasty while holidaying in Cornwall, right out of my hand, without so much as a "by your leave". If I could have caught it, I'd have given it a stern talking to. Mainly because I'm fcuking terrified of seagulls, with their beady eyes and massive beaks.

    This just reminded me of something my grandpa told me when i was a kid.

    He was stationed in Sudan (I think) after WW1 and they used to have what they referred to as "shite-hawks" which would swoop down and nick the rations off your plate as you were walking away from the servery.

    They got rid of them by wrapping lumps of carbide in food. Calcium carbide was used to power lamps, you'd drip water onto it and burn the resulting acetylene gas that was produced from the chemical reaction. The shite-hawks would explode as they were flying away.


    The older I get, the better I was.

Sign In or Register to comment.