British Road Racing Legend - Keith Butler RIP

ocdupalais
ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
edited March 2019 in Pro race
Absolutely gutted to hear of the passing of Keith Butler.https://apple.news/AMp42UJt4M_GsSNiEcY0UwQ

Top bloke.

Apart from all his other countless achievements - including as a pro, he enabled hundreds of riders to compete in thousands of races at a time when bike racing on the road was still governed by a mentality that seemed to do everything in its power to make it not happen. Keith seemed all about doing his utmost to make it happen. Forgotten to enter? No worries, still some places. Forgotten your licence? Alright, boy, bring it next week...
When I sheepishly complained to him at the closing ceremony that he’d forgotten to present me with my prize for finishing a gruelling 5 day stage race in first place for my category, he beckoned me over as though he’d remembered all along. Instead of a gaudy but worthless trinket, he gave me a big cuddle.
My trophy cabinet is pretty bare, but now that prize is my favourite.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I remember a book I got when Imhad just started cycling. I think it was Cycle training to win and it had a picture of Keith in full flight. It inspired me for years.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Gutted,

A great character, and a huge loss.

Rip