NRG Stem that keeps your devices powered up

NRGStems
NRGStems Posts: 3
edited March 2019 in Road general
Our need for power is ever increasing as we demand more from our leisure, work or sporting activities. Bike computers and phones or similar devices are great for tracking and guiding us, but with so much strain on batteries it's not surprising they don't last all day. From the business user to the trail user, it can be irritating to lose power on your device. I decided to create a bike stem with built in power to utilise the cavity within the stem. Knowing you have a power lifeline is great for those long rides and power intensive apps.

We would love your feedback on our idea which currently is on Kickstarter. Thanks in advance for your time

https://kck.st/2TlWdks

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    I think that's a very good idea, although I guess a lot of people don't store their bikes within 2m of a power socket.

Do you have options for different stem lengths? my mountain bike stem is very short and I suspect the handling would go awry if I stuck a long stem on it.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Not sure how you expect to shift many when the length and angle are fixed as well as it having a 'right way up'.

You'd need to go from about 0-10 deg rise, 80-120mm length and 'right way up' agnostic to really make this attractive to most people.

Cyclists have the stems rightway up and upside down and no way is 105mm sufficient for everyone on MTB and road. Even on my 2 bikes the stem lengths are different. both 8 degrees I think, upside down according to your design.

Agree 2m is way too short, although that is the length of di2 charging cable. You can always use an extension lead.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    monkimark wrote:
    I think that's a very good idea, although I guess a lot of people don't store their bikes within 2m of a power socket.

You could power it from a powerbank.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Well, the main problem is that it's incredibly expensive when compared to a standard stem or standard power bank, and is less versatile than a regular stem that has a power bank zip tied to it (which would be easy to take away to charge).

Also, 3500mah is a pretty small amount of charge to hold by modern standards, and isn't enough to fully charge most current high end phones.

Then there is the fact that there are already on the market a lot of power banks that are built into front lights (again, at a fraction of the price...), and I just can't see a market for this product.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spammy...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    powerbank on top of stem secured by tape works for me for 200+k rides. this is a good idea in theory, but there needs to be sizes and drop angles that work with Mtb/ road bikes. this is doing a job currently that no one really asked for.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I believe it was deleted as Spam last year and probably will be again this year:

https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40116&t=13091455&hilit=Nrg
  • I think the idea is great. Utilising a dead space on the bike to store energy.

The delivery is something to work on. I agree with others who mentioned an ordinary power-bank attached to the frame does the job for now. Also at the moment size matters when it comes to the energy capacity (mAh) and also the speed of discharge / re-charge?

Would vibration of road surface have a long-term negative effect on the battery or its connection?

What would be nice is the detach-ability and portability of the storage component (i.e. just like the detachable lights where you can easily take them off the bike and charge it using the office PC outlet).

Something like a powerbank (a size of polo mint tube or equivalent) that can be attached via bracket to the saddle rail, top tube or even under the stem and easily detach-able to recharge would be much more universal, versatile and doesn't require modifying your bike component? Or does such a thing already exist?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The battery in the stem will lose efficiency over time, then you're stuck with a heavier stem for no benefit.
    I often run a USB battery pack either velcro strapped to stem or in a top tube bag, works fine and is removable for those times when I don't need it.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Nice idea, but expensive and £190,000 needed to be raised............good luck with that!
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I'd rather add the additional weight of a power bank when needed, rather than carry it around when not needed.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Stem cell and a power bank works for me. Only used for longer rides so also acts as additional storage for gels.
    For 99% of my rides I don't need the additional power, only when doing touring or rides when using mapping in excess of 10 hours. Not as elegant a solution as the NRG Stem, but its reliable and convenient.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/stem-cell
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    dodgy wrote:
    The battery in the stem will lose efficiency over time, then you're stuck with a heavier stem for no benefit.
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I'd rather add the additional weight of a power bank when needed, rather than carry it around when not needed.

These are both very good points. Plus the need for power is quite niche, the specific angle makes it more niche.

On that basis, I'm out.
  • Hmm. You can get credit card sized power banks that are good for enough charge. Easier to slip that in a back pocket and use when needed.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ery-packs/
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi Barongreenback, that's very similar to what I use, the idea of charging from the stem (or stem cell in my case) is that the device needing power is normally on the stem.
    For example, if doing a 14 hour ride following a route on the garmin, I need to be able to see it - so the powerbank stays in the stemcell, it then powers / charges the garmin as I ride.
  • NRGStems
    NRGStems Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the feedback, we are noting the comments :)