Front suspension break cable position

Richard.S
Richard.S Posts: 55
edited March 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I have attached my front brake cable to the lever, but am now not sure if it is better to have the cable run down the outside, or run down the inside of the front suspension fork.

I think I read somewhere to ensure it runs down the inside of the fork, but when I looked online at images, they seem to run down the outside.

Could someone please tell me if it makes any difference, and if there is any reason why It needs to be one side in particular.

Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Run it down the inside of the fork leg. There is less chance of it snagging on a branch or getting damaged in a crash.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Richard.S
    Thought so.

Thank you.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Mine kinda goes down at the front of the crown then behind the fork leg

FZuOm4a.jpg
  • Richard.S
    That’s how I did mine in the end.

Just out of curiosity, do you know the diameter of the screw that holds the cable clip on the fork? Are they standardised?

The screw which came with my forks doesn’t fit in the hole :|

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What make of fork? Most are M4 but I’ve seen M5.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Richard.S
    Made by DFS, but the supplied screw seems too big to fit the fork?