Standard to compact, remove chain link?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited March 2019 in Workshop
Evening folks,

Quick question, if you change chainset from a 53/39 to a 50/34 how many chain links do you need to remove? (If any)

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The right number to set the chain length correctly, is it correct now?

If it is correct now, the wrap on the larger chainring has changed by 1.5 teeth (as it only wraps 180 degrees), so depending on which end of the tolerance it was you may ideally need to remove 1 pair of links or none at all.

I wouldn't bother, that way you can refit a 53T !
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Thanks for your reply.

I assume the chain length is currently correct - it's a friends bike, not mine. I will double check before putting on the new chainset though.

One more query then, when the new chainset goes on will the front mech need lowering? Is anything else needed? It's di2 so the front mech should auto tune right??

Thanks
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Deffo need to lower the front mech. I forgot to do that and threw my chain in a race whilst in a good placing. Damnit.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I find if I go down from 53 to 52 its not bad. 53 to 50 though is a nightmare...