Charging Garmin En Route

apprent1ce
apprent1ce Posts: 58
edited March 2019 in Road beginners
Does anyone have advice as to keeping a garmin going over a 12 hour ride?

It's not something I've thought about before, but with a long ride tomorrow I think it could well be an issue. Can you use something like a charging stick that people use for phones at festivals? And, if so, can you charge and run the unit at the same time?

Many thanks

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    apprent1ce wrote:
    Does anyone have advice as to keeping a garmin going over a 12 hour ride?

It's not something I've thought about before, but with a long ride tomorrow I think it could well be an issue. Can you use something like a charging stick that people use for phones at festivals? And, if so, can you charge and run the unit at the same time?

Many thanks

Which device? Some will run for 12hrs or more depending on what they are doing the 200 and Touring that I had/have will run for that sort of time, though navigating runs them down.

The 520/touring will run while being charged but might need to restart as it will probably go to Computer mode initially.
  • Hi Roger, someone has lent me a garmin 1000 as it's got the route on it for navigation, which I assume is what will eat the
    battery.

I was also a bit concerned that plugging an external battery into the unit will cause it to interrupt the recording for strava?
  • You can buy cheap USB adapters on amazon that only pass the power, stripping out the data part, so the unit will carry on as normal.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    You can buy cheap USB adapters on amazon that only pass the power, stripping out the data part, so the unit will carry on as normal.

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of a usb > mini usb cable? Had a quick look on amazon and ebay but wasn't 100% sure I was looking at the right thing. I'd like to charge my 800 on the go with a battery pack if possible.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    should be able to do it with usb power pack, use them for charging phones/tablets on the move no problem
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    We had this same question about a month ago. Have a look at the answers for that.
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    You can buy cheap USB adapters on amazon that only pass the power, stripping out the data part, so the unit will carry on as normal.

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of a usb > mini usb cable? Had a quick look on amazon and ebay but wasn't 100% sure I was looking at the right thing. I'd like to charge my 800 on the go with a battery pack if possible.
    Just search for “usb data blocker”.
  • chaos75
    chaos75 Posts: 72
    Hi

I did this on JOGLE. Had a powerbank in a bar bag and ran the cable from that to the Garmin (Touring), had no problems with it interrupting recording at all. The other alternative is to plug in and top up at cafe/ lunch stops. Most places are pretty accommodating (IME).
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I used an Asda £2 power bank for last years Ventoux Cingles challenge (All day) Arrived back at Gite, unplugged power bank, Garmin 810 100% left :D
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire