Groupset for 2010 Fury

freebs
freebs Posts: 199
edited March 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. I have a 2010 Carrera Fury and the drivetrain is on it's way out. It looks like a square taper BB and a Truvative chainset. SRAM X5 derailleurs and shifters. The bike has served me well over the years and I've upgraded brakes/bars and other bits and pieces. I'm looking to replace the drivetrain as can't afford new bike.

I only have experience with external BB's (and road bikes mainly!) so my question is which group/BB can I use? Can I even get these groupsets any more?

I've searched Google but there don't seem to be square taper groupsets about, will I have to buy separately? Is the BB industry standard?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You can fit pretty much whatever you want. All of the major groupsets (excluding XTR 12 speed) have cassette options which will work with the splines on your hub, and it's easy to get cranks/BBs which will fit your threaded BB shell. You're looking for BSA threaded BBs, which are still the most common option for most bikes.

If there's anything specific you wanted to go for post the details and someone will be able to tell you if there's anything to be aware of, or if you suggest a budget and what you want in terms of 1x, 2x etc there will be suggestions.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    If it's in original spec, the BB will be a truative powerspline I think which (if you're keeping the BB) would mean a powerspline compatible crankset.

Separate square taper crankset plus cheap as chips square taper BB should sort you out. A couple of measurements to make sure you get the right BB, and there's plenty of square taper cranksets still around cheaply.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Something like a deore groupset would be fine.

Are you swapping the bottom bracket out as you could just replace the chainring on the crank if its a standard bcd size like 104mm?

That's of course if you want to try 1x drivetrain on the bike.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I would look at getting good quality second-hand parts to minimise your spend, but buy a new bb.
    You will be able to fit an HT2 bb but may have to get the bb shell faced to do so.

Do you want to go 3x, 2x or 1x?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • freebs
    Thanks all. I'd like to run a 1x group but the only chainset I can find online is an Sram 600 triple which is similar to what I have got. I can't be searching for the right thing..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sram-8-9-Spe ... 3393755997

HT2 BB is external? If that will fit then I am beginning to understand. I apologise for my ignorance..!

If I end up with the triple above it's not the end of the world btw!!
  • freebs
    Having refined my internet searches using the above advice I see that I can convert a square taper BB to HT2. I've found a Youtube vid..

I'll have a look at that, thanks for your help folks!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Deore M6000 will set you back about £150 for 1x10.
    You will need:
    Chainset
    Bottom bracket
    Cassette
    Chain
    Rear derailleur
    Shifter
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    You might find a Shimano Acera or older Alivio chainset in square taper for around £30 and then you could get a Shimano un26 bb which run smoothly and are very durable.Not as light as deore with Hollowtech and ht2 but still shift ok and the bb would arguably last longer.
    Your other option is just use the existing cranks and add new bb (powerspline) and new rings or even convert to a 1 x set up with a single narrow wide chainring up front and use a wide ratio 10 speed cassette. Powespline bbs aren’t as durable as Shimano though in my experience. A deore 10 speed set up with deore shifters, shadow rear mech , and a wide ratio hg500 cassette would be fine.
    I’m looking at doing something similar with my pinnacle lithium hybrid which currently has 3 x 9 Shimano Altus.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo