Women's Tour of Scotland route finally released

thegreatdivide
thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
edited March 2019 in Pro race

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Hope this gets a good field - first realistic chance to go see a high level race for me (and my mighty girls).

Also the first to feature roads I have ridden - one hill (Cleish) was even on my commuting route when I worked in Fife.
  • thegreatdivide
    I reckon I'll ride out to the Lindores climb above Muchty on Stage 1 and then pop across to Perth for the end of Stage 2.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    but they dont got pass my house...oh wait sorry wrong race ;)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    awavey wrote:
    but they dont got pass my house...oh wait sorry wrong race ;)

Nor mine. But the TdF 2020 might do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Looks interesting Is the food outside of Edinburgh and the occasional oasis of excellence still dire?
  • thegreatdivide
    You need new material.
  • local to me so I'm looking forward to it, the Dukes pass should be stunning. I do the Cleish hill climb a lot
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    Hopefully they will resurface the roads around there too...
  • bompington
    By "around there" I take it you mean the whole of Scotland :(
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Have any (male or female) races been over Bealach na Ba? That's always touted as the best climb in the land, yet I can't recall any race ever going over it.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    bompington wrote:

looks like no new material needed lolol
  • thegreatdivide
    bompington wrote:

looks like no new material needed lolol

By using 'lolol' you just gave your new alter ego away! Silly boy.
  • thegreatdivide
    phreak wrote:
    Have any (male or female) races been over Bealach na Ba? That's always touted as the best climb in the land, yet I can't recall any race ever going over it.

Not that I know of. It's probably a logistical mare for a large scale race I reckon. Bit of a shame. They could do a great stage from Aberdeen and take the riders over the Cairnwell for a finish in Dundee or Perth.
  • phreak wrote:
    Nope, just sportives....it’s too far out the way, the furthest north they will probably go if they really bring racing Scotland is Pitlochry
  • bompington
    phreak wrote:

Not that I know of. It's probably a logistical mare for a large scale race I reckon. Bit of a shame. They could do a great stage from Aberdeen and take the riders over the Cairnwell for a finish in Dundee or Perth.
    The Bealach is by some distance the closest thing to a proper alpine climb in the UK, isn't it? And there is a bit of a car park at the top :D (they should actually get them to continue up the track to the transmitter on Sgurr a'Chaorachain which must be about an extra 150m height or so)
    So many great routes across the Highlands - but not just the logistics, presumably they want races where it's close enough to major centres of population to get decent crowds out, which means drawing the casually interested.

But how about the Snow Roads for a jolly 300km stage?
  • thegreatdivide
    Time trial up Craig Owl, complete with cows, cattle grids and sh*te on the road.

They did the Prologue TT from the Caird Hall to the top of the Law in '89. Sean Kelly, Malcolm Elliot and the Millar, smashing it. Dundee to Glasgow the next day.
  • bompington
    Time trial up Craig Owl, complete with cows, cattle grids and sh*te on the road.
    Don't forget manhandling their bikes over the locked gate :D
  • phreak
    phreak wrote:
    Nope, just sportives....it’s too far out the way, the furthest north they will probably go if they really bring racing Scotland is Pitlochry

You could probably say that about most mountains though couldn't you? I mean the Stelvio isn't exactly easy to get to, but it still regularly features in races. Seems a bit of a shame to do a race specifically in Scotland and not visit the area Scotland is most renowned for (the Highlands). Inverness to Applecross is what, 130km or so depending on the route you take.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I liked the look of the route and its good to see a dedicated women's race. Although I rarely watch womens road racing, I hope they get a strong line-up. Anyone know how this race fits into the womens race schedule because that will determine the teams and riders who participate. It's on during the Edinburgh Festival as well so best get your accommodation sorted early. :-)
  • Also they could have went up the logie Kirk
  • thegreatdivide
    phreak wrote:
    phreak wrote:

You could probably say that about most mountains though couldn't you? I mean the Stelvio isn't exactly easy to get to, but it still regularly features in races. Seems a bit of a shame to do a race specifically in Scotland and not visit the area Scotland is most renowned for (the Highlands). Inverness to Applecross is what, 130km or so depending on the route you take.

You're then left in Applecross which is the size of a postage stamp. After that you've got to get the logistics all the way to the next stage on wee roads that have tourist traffic and sheep. Where would the fans stay? It's a hell of a one day drive and you'd need to get up the climb to spectate. It's hard enough to find a place with the NC500 using the Highlands. Then there's the issue of the biting monsters in August. I'd love to see the Pros ride it, but I doubt it's feasible. There are plenty of other cracking climbs that are closer to civilisation. The Ayrshire Alps would be good.
  • phreak
    phreak wrote:
    phreak wrote:

You're then left in Applecross which is the size of a postage stamp. After that you've got to get the logistics all the way to the next stage on wee roads that have tourist traffic and sheep. Where would the fans stay? It's a hell of a one day drive and you'd need to get up the climb to spectate. It's hard enough to find a place with the NC500 using the Highlands. Then there's the issue of the biting monsters in August. I'd love to see the Pros ride it, but I doubt it's feasible. There are plenty of other cracking climbs that are closer to civilisation. The Ayrshire Alps would be good.

I suppose the men would be more feasible as they aren't restricted by seemingly arbitrary distance restrictions like the women are, so it could be part of a stage before finishing somewhere slightly more suitable.
  • thegreatdivide
    Good point. Finish in Ft William which is used to WC MTB events.

Aye, a daft restriction for the women!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    bompington wrote:

Well from a selfish point of view, any of the roads from Falkland south and also all the roads around Aberfoyle Stirling and NE Glasgow... but I take your point.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bompington wrote:
    phreak wrote:

The Bealach is by some distance the closest thing to a proper alpine climb in the UK, isn't it? And there is a bit of a car park at the top :D (they should actually get them to continue up the track to the transmitter on Sgurr a'Chaorachain which must be about an extra 150m height or so)
    So many great routes across the Highlands - but not just the logistics, presumably they want races where it's close enough to major centres of population to get decent crowds out, which means drawing the casually interested.

But how about the Snow Roads for a jolly 300km stage?

I would have thought the 3 Pistes Sportive route would make a good stage (think that sportive doesn't run any more, but its a great route).

Starting Pitlochry and over Glenshee, the Lecht (inc 20%+ sections) and finishing at Cairngorm ski centre - Aviemore is a decent sized place which could easily accommodate a race. Would be good for tourism in the area too.

Yes the weather is a bit of an unknown over the top but that's half the fun! That would be a properly hilly stage.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    This from when I rode it back in 2015 - 165km with 2600m elevation https://www.strava.com/activities/315596449
  • thegreatdivide
    Yeah that's a great route too. It's brutal.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    This from when I rode it back in 2015 - 165km with 2600m elevation https://www.strava.com/activities/315596449
    Done it the first 3 years, that year in 2015 the weather was bad, the wind going up the lecht had people a mess.....the last time I done it in 2016 the weather was really good...but the lecht didn’t get any easier with the better weather :(
  • The 3 pistes route should be a mens one day race