Miche Primato Rear Hub - bearing replacement .Help!!!!

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited March 2019 in Workshop
Finally got round to tackling the replacement of the rear hub bearings on my Archetype/Miche Primato wheelset (Cycleclinic build about 2 years ago)

Have removed the 2mm grub/set screw on the red collar in the pic below and loosened the collar by turning it anticlockwise - it appears only to move maybe 5mm due to the restrictions on the threaded portion. The axle now floats a little so I presume the red collar is a form of bearing pre-load device

32367601367_33de3fb3e5_c.jpg

I then inserted a 5mm Allen key into the end caps on each side and tried to loosen the caps. Nada - nothing neither cap budged a millimeter although I was applying significant force to each one. I have stopped short of getting out some makeshift tommy bar to enable me to put more force onto the Allen keys until I check that I have not missed something simple/important.

So - is there anything else that needs loosening before the caps will come off. There is nothing obvious on the drive side due to the presence of the freehub.

I am applying a normal loosening force on the Allen keys - ie anticlockwise. The caps aren't reverse threaded by any chance and I'm actually tightening them by mistake.

If they are normally threaded, does anyone have any suggestions of what more I could try

Just an additional observation - if you look at the end cap in the pic above it has some arrows pointing in an anticlockwise direction with the word "Lock" next to them. Does that suggest the caps are indeed reverse threaded and I have been forcing them tighter

Comments

• No need to mess with the red cap. Just insert the required allen keys into both the drive side and non drive side and unscrew by turning against the directional 'lock' arrows engraved on the axle. Once unscrewed the entire axle and end cap will pull out easily and you can access the bearings. First time unscrewing may require a bit of extra force but nothing too heavy. Dead simple to do!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Reverse thread end caps. They'll be done up proper tight now. Insert the Allen key fully. Make sure it a tight fit or you could round/crack the end cap.

The hubs are simple to undo. The arrows on the nds end cap are there for a reason.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • arlowood
    Reverse thread end caps. They'll be done up proper tight now. Insert the Allen key fully. Make sure it a tight fit or you could round/crack the end cap.

The hubs are simple to undo. The arrows on the nds end cap are there for a reason.

OK - thanks Malcolm and @MidlandsGrimpeur

I did notice the "Lock" arrows before I started but ploughed on in numptie fashion assuming it was a standard thread.

Now hope that my efforts to undo the caps have not resulted in them being tightened beyond removal.

Will have another go tomorrow making sure that the Allen keys I use are firmly inserted.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    they will come undo but not with a sloppy fit allen key. that bit is key - pun intended.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • arlowood
    they will come undo but not with a sloppy fit allen key. that bit is key - pun intended.

Success - end cap eventually removed without too many dramas. Actually used my mini torque wrench cranked up to the maximum because I knew the Allen key bits were good quality and the wrench handle gave me some extra leverage.

Now on to the bearing switch
  • Used the directions above and worked perfectly, just wanted to say thanks!
    Couldn't see or work out how to remove the 6109 bearings from the freehub body itself, but they were in decent nick, so I just regreased them under the seal and resealed them. Anyone tried removing those or have a guide?