Bike and camp at Rhiwbach slate quarry

freakychurchill
freakychurchill Posts: 82
edited March 2019 in Your pics and vids
So got a new steed a pinnacle arkose and decided to give it a decent test ride and take it for a wild camp. So got the train to Blaenau Ffestiniog and cycled down to Ffestiniog and up the quarry road (and what a road it was) and onto the path to Rhiwbach disused slate quarry. Day one the weather was 20 and the sun was blazing without a cloud in the sky and was hard to believe it was February and soon found myself it my camp site. Soon the tent was up and the beers where opened and I sat back and watched the quite amazing views and countless stars in the sky and enjoyed my home made curry. After having my fill of ale i retired and was soon fast asleep I awoke to a completely different day weather wise as I had rain and fog and quickly packed up despite somehow losing my cooking pan. The mist only added charter to this place though which now had a had a slightly eerie fell to it. Thankfully it was mostly down hill although the road down was dodgy as the fog was vert thick in places but over all a fantastic couple of days and the bike worked great.
A short video of my micro adventure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_0lf9034P4

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    thanks for sharing, great night sky shots, I used to work there so have spent a fair bit of time up around the Moelwyns, not a lot of great riding allowed there but plenty of good trails for running
  • lemonenema wrote:
    thanks for sharing, great night sky shots, I used to work there so have spent a fair bit of time up around the Moelwyns, not a lot of great riding allowed there but plenty of good trails for running

Must have been a good but quite harsh place to work. Yeah not great for biking but a great place to see with all the history and a cracking place to camp. Glad you enjoyed
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    You must have doubled your mileage setting the camera up and going back for it!
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    I dont mean I worked in the quarry! but yes they would have had it hard in the old mountain quarries and mines
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Good vid, nice edit, looks fun
    FCN = 4
  • figbat yeah it was a effort but gave me chance for a breather lol.

Ah ok lemonenema I thought you may have worked at the quarry that still operates there but deffo a hard place to work

Thanks MTB-Idle was a great place and glad you enjoyed