Chatbot clothing advice accurate?

pedaleur
pedaleur Posts: 6
edited March 2019 in Road beginners
Hi all,

As a starting cyclist I not always not sure on what to wear (not to look good, but to not get too cold or too warm ;)). My friend suggested using Telegram roadbike chatbot ( https://t.me/roadbike_bot ) which takes your location to give advice on what to wear. However not having any experience Im not sure if the advice is accurate. How do you decide on what to wear (long sleeve or not, long shorts or not etc) and do you think AI advice is accurate?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Look outside?

Spammy....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pedaleur
    My guestimates thusfar havent been really accurate, getting way too cold...
    No intention on spamming, if sharing links is not allowed Ill remove it, was just sharing it as an example..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's an interesting first post...

It was easier back in the day. I think I had about three tops to work with. Long sleeve. Short sleeve. Nylon fronted jacket. You could ride all year round using them or a combination.

And then shorts, wooly tights, gloves and mitts and overshoes and a cap or a wooly one with ear flaps.

Much easier to choose.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    You’ve got to be some kind of moron not to be able to dress yourself. Get a grip.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    AI advice like this cannot be accurate. Simply reading this forum will tell you that different riders feel comfortable in different clothing at the same temperatures. Some ride hotter than others.

The only real way is to ride more and find out what works for you. Best advice is to layer up and err on the side of too warm. At least then you can take a layer off if you warm up.

PS. It's not really AI is it...it's just be a set of rules. Unless it learns from you how can it be correct?
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    It’s so much easier these days due to better forecasts and better clothing fabrics and options.
    Most forecasts do a “ real feel” prediction. If I’m going out for, say, 3 hours, I’ll check the starting and finishing weather, and for the farthest point on the ride as well. If there’s going to be a variance over the ride I’ll dress for the warmest temperature, and then add foldable layers( gilet, wind jacket etc) at the start, to be pocketed later. I almost always take a rain jacket, not just for rain but for if I have to be standing about for some reason.
  • pedaleur
    You’ve got to be some kind of moron not to be able to dress yourself. Get a grip.
    Might be, getting my chromosomes counted next week. Thanks for the constructive advice.
  • pedaleur
    GrenW wrote:
    AI advice like this cannot be accurate. Simply reading this forum will tell you that different riders feel comfortable in different clothing at the same temperatures. Some ride hotter than others.

The only real way is to ride more and find out what works for you. Best advice is to layer up and err on the side of too warm. At least then you can take a layer off if you warm up.

PS. It's not really AI is it...it's just be a set of rules. Unless it learns from you how can it be correct?

Yeah that is true. Having some extra on indeed helps, especially the separate leg and arm warmers come in handy with that. Thanks
  • This time of year tends to be relatively tricky, at ~0600 it can feel close to 1C and by ~1300 it can feel like approx 14C on a really nice day on the UK south coast.

Arm warmers; legs warmers; windproof jackets with detachable sleeves; skull cap; gloves; overshoes are useful... As are tardis-like pockets or saddle bags to carry them when no longer required to wear them!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pedaleur
    giropaul wrote:
    It’s so much easier these days due to better forecasts and better clothing fabrics and options.
    Most forecasts do a “ real feel” prediction. If I’m going out for, say, 3 hours, I’ll check the starting and finishing weather, and for the farthest point on the ride as well. If there’s going to be a variance over the ride I’ll dress for the warmest temperature, and then add foldable layers( gilet, wind jacket etc) at the start, to be pocketed later. I almost always take a rain jacket, not just for rain but for if I have to be standing about for some reason.

Cool, yeah I think that is also the logic the bot follows. For me I think its more about on getting a feel on what to wear with a certain temperature. Wasn't really used to getting your shorts out when its 15 degrees C ;)
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,415
    Look outside....Look in your wardrobe....Ask your cat......

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    pedaleur wrote:
    Might be, getting my chromosomes counted next week. Thanks for the constructive advice.

Honestly heres some constructive advice. Get a grip. HTFU and get on with it.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    For many years there has been an easily accessible weather service you can now use on a portable hand held device, alternatively you can look through the natural light inlet points in your property unless your local council still enforces a light tax.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    We have 2 dress states.

speedos & shoes
    Romeo 4

anyone who says they need anything different is lying

#prayforHayden
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote: