High Roller II 2.6 front, 2.4 rear??

ben1994c
ben1994c Posts: 7
edited March 2019 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone tried a 2.6” High Roller II front and 2.4” High Roller II rear?

Really like the High Roller II and currently run front and rear High Roller II 2.4. I’ve acquired a 2.6”, but never seen anyone run the same tread pattern front and rear with different tyre widths. This worth a try?? Both 3C Exo compounds.

Go easy, I’m far from a tyre geek :lol:

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    No reason not to if it fits in the fork. The High Roller isn't a front/rear specific tyre. The worst case scenario is that you don't like it and you take it off again.
  • ben1994c
    ben1994c Posts: 7
    whyamihere wrote:
    No reason not to if it fits in the fork. The High Roller isn't a front/rear specific tyre. The worst case scenario is that you don't like it and you take it off again.

Cheers man. 2.6 will definitely fit in the fork. It is still in packaging so could sell if there was some reason they wouldn’t work together :roll:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    2.6 is that the wide trail version?

try it and see if you don't like it then I'm sure someone will buy it on ebay or whatever.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    On my YT Capra, I had a 27.5x2.4 HR II 3C on the front and a single compound on the rear. It cornered like it was on rails, but when I overdid it, it was always the rear that slid out in a predictable fashion. :)

Your choice of tyres may provide a similar experience, but if you find the front sliding out at all, I'd replace the rear with a single compound version.

PS: I have 29x2.5 Maxis HR II 3C wide trail front and rear on my emtb. I wanted a 3C for the front to give the grip and I wanted a less grippy tyre for the rear (as above), but to get the most out of an emtb you don't want the rear wheel to spin out. So I was looking for a dual compound, but I just could not find one anywhere. So I doubled up and put the same 3C (maxx terra) tyre front and rear. So far I have not lived to regret it, but it's early days yet! :)