World Champs Sportive

mrfpb
mrfpb Posts: 4,569
Anyone considering this? It's the first weekend of the Champs. Open road, late September. Weather will be bad, but likely to be a decent course.

https://worlds.yorkshire.com/sportive/

Comments

• Nah...I'll be organising and riding myself the X-Rated Loop of Birmingham the day before :-)
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrfpb
    Damn, I was sure you'd be the first in the queue, Ugo.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    Damn, I was sure you'd be the first in the queue, Ugo.

I know... sometimes I surprise myself too... :lol:

That said, I did a sportive in Coventry last weekend (£ 12 entry fee) and I do like Yorkshire...
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrfpb
    Being the World Champs the roads will be good
    Being Yorkshire the views and route will be good
    But it's term time, so getting away for a long weekend will be frowned on.
    But the World Champs don't come round in the UK very often.

I was thinking I'd not do a Sportive this year, but I'm quite tempted by this. It's ballot entry so there's no guarantee of a place anyway.
  • Not planning on doing the Sportive, but will be riding most of the route the last weekend of July.
    Friend of mine lives in Leeds, so plan is to ride a large portion of the Men's race route then through Harrogate and back to Leeds. Probably 200km (Weather dependant), I am doing ride London the following weekend so this will be ideal prep.
    When the World Champs in on we will just ride from Leeds to Harrogate each day.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,462
    Not planning on doing the Sportive, but will be riding most of the route the last weekend of July.
    Friend of mine lives in Leeds, so plan is to ride a large portion of the Men's race route then through Harrogate and back to Leeds. Probably 200km (Weather dependant), I am doing ride London the following weekend so this will be ideal prep.
    When the World Champs in on we will just ride from Leeds to Harrogate each day.

Ideal prep? That's like running a marathon to train for park run.

If you're heading up in to the dales don't bother with the world's route. They have to avoid the best roads for riding because they're too narrow. You could do a similar shape route on far quieter roads roads
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Read the blurb on BCF newsletter. Thought about registering an interest, but BCF members get a £20 discount on entry fees. No indication what fees are but they must be hefty if that discount can be offered. Just get a feeling that the roads will be full of riders. Being anti social that sounds what I don't want!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Never mind the sportive, I’m hoping that as well as all the tee shirts, replica jerseys etc. Being as it’s Yorkshire there will be a nice tweed 3 piece suit to be purchased as well
  • Webboo wrote:
    Never mind the sportive, I’m hoping that as well as all the tee shirts, replica jerseys etc. Being as it’s Yorkshire there will be a nice tweed 3 piece suit to be purchased as well
    With knee breeches and a flat cap will look great when riding your Old Ordinary!!!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,587
    BCF guaranteed entry went live today at £90, less the £20 discount, so £70.

I'll pass.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Just ride it some other time in the year. rip off.
  • Its £70 plus 7.5% admin fee on top. That's getting into the realms of silliness considering the numbers involved on the roads, in the car park, for refreshments etc.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    absolute rip off, Ill go and ride it all anyway, on the day for free. without a helmet. Its on open roads.
  • It's an absolute scandalous price. Yes I expect to pay, but this is way too much. I live in Harrogate so it's literally on my doorstep and I ride these roads for free every day. It's against my principle but I will just join part way round, just to make a point....to myself obviously ha ha

It's very sad. Cycling is has become an elitist sport or past time for the rich
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It's an absolute scandalous price. Yes I expect to pay, but this is way too much. I live in Harrogate so it's literally on my doorstep and I ride these roads for free every day. It's against my principle but I will just join part way round, just to make a point....to myself obviously ha ha

No it hasn't. You can buy cheap bikes, cheap kit and ride on the open roads for free any time you like. Don't overreact.

Like any sport, there is also the ability to spend a lot of money and have a 'premium' experience, if that's your sort of thing.

Closed roads events are expensive in the UK.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    It's an absolute scandalous price. Yes I expect to pay, but this is way too much. I live in Harrogate so it's literally on my doorstep and I ride these roads for free every day. It's against my principle but I will just join part way round, just to make a point....to myself obviously ha ha

No it hasn't. You can buy cheap bikes, cheap kit and ride on the open roads for free any time you like. Don't overreact.

Like any sport, there is also the ability to spend a lot of money and have a 'premium' experience, if that's your sort of thing.

Closed roads events are expensive in the UK.

It's not a closed road event though, is it? Only the Harrogate loop is closed road.
  • Exactly. Not closed road.
    And I'm NOT overreacting. £50 is about the norm price these day's for a Sportive. Yes there are cheaper ones, but that's almost the going rate. And if that's not elitist, well, not sure what is. Yes we don't have to do them, and I often don't, and up totally accept that it's a lot of hard work to set up etc and for that reason alone I would expect to pay a reasonable amount. This isn't that reasonable amount.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    For £90 I’d want a rainbow jersey thrown in as well.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    Exactly. Not closed road.
    And I'm NOT overreacting. £50 is about the norm price these day's for a Sportive. Yes there are cheaper ones, but that's almost the going rate. And if that's not elitist, well, not sure what is. Yes we don't have to do them, and I often don't, and up totally accept that it's a lot of hard work to set up etc and for that reason alone I would expect to pay a reasonable amount. This isn't that reasonable amount.

You are a bit.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Exactly. Not closed road.

It's an overreaction. It's a bike ride.

Do an audax if you're worried about cost. Price is a function of supply and demand.

Have you organised a sportive? I've no idea what a reasonable amount is but with many cycling chains going into administration it's a nice cash cow (maybe?) to keep them afloat.
  • MAMILs and MAWILs, typically good incomes with plenty of disposable income, expensive bling bikes and perhaps not the fitness to do them justice (but it gets us out riding and that's what really matters)... You can see why these sportive organisers will chance their arm with kidney selling admission prices.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo

• It's an overreaction. It's a bike ride.

Do an audax if you're worried about cost. Price is a function of supply and demand.
    If you must ride the route, just download the map and go off on your own. Open roads - nothing to stop you.
  • Some people are answering there own question.
    It's a bike ride.
    Exactly.
    £70 plus. For a bike ride.

If people think that's a reasonable amount to pay to ride your bike on a road you can ride for free, fair enough. My opinion is its crazy. Not over reaction just my opinion