Zwift racing power reading

Balazsgal
Balazsgal Posts: 65
Hi all,just wondering what option would be better to use power on zwift.just about to upgrade from the tacx vortex to a kickr 2018.using a favero assioma duo power meter which does the job brilliantly hooked with my tacx antenna.question would be what option would be better in the future after purchasing the kickr,use the turbos power reading or just stick with the existing setup.thanx for the inputs in advance.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    depends what you mean by better?

In terms of the computer controlling the turbo, I can't see that it'd make huge difference.

You may get a difference in reading between your favero pm vs the turbo - partly because one is pedal based and the other turbo based. If you're looking to improve or compare power readings then stick to the favero PM - because your results will be directly comparable to previous efforts.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 stick with the power meter for consistency.
  • Balazsgal
    Balazsgal Posts: 65
    Thank you for quick replys,better I meant by reaction time at races.power difference as in 1-2 percent wouldn't bother me at all tbh.Consistency as in ftp set,previous efforts etc would make sense alright just stick with the pedals I suppose.thanx again
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I wouldn't think the software controls the turbo based on your power unless you're in ERG mode - it'll change the resistance based on the terrain and who is around you.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    On second thoughts - test both. I bet your turbo reads higher than the power meter. Inevitably if someone blitzes past on Zwift they are using a smart turbo...
  • Balazsgal wrote:
    Thank you for quick replys,better I meant by reaction time at races.
    I doubt it would make a difference to race situations (reaction times, etc). The KICKR is a solid and reliable smart turbo and used by thousands of Zwifters. I'd put money on your Faveros being *slightly* more accurate, but response time would be the same.

Use whichever is easiest! If it means switching your pedals each time you jump on the turbo, that might end up being a pain.

cougie wrote:
    Inevitably if someone blitzes past on Zwift they are using a smart turbo...
    Most high end smart trainers are pretty accurate. I'd say if somebody blitzes past on Zwift it's more likely they're on a dumb trainer with speed sensor or are weight doping. But that's an entirely different thread. ;-)