Fox dyad rt2 sag

Bikerider82
Bikerider82 Posts: 21
edited March 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all just purchased a second hand Cannondale trigger 3 XL. Mint condition. Trying to set the sag to between 30 and 40% and it's impossible. Iam the top end of the chart at 110 kg max is 113 so should be right. Followed the instructions to the letter sit on the bike and boom well over 40%. Any ideas or do I just need to more kg. I have don't a search to no avail. Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Add air.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Add air.

I've tried that but bit wary of going over the recommendation with psi with me been close to the limit. Does sag really matter that much?
  • cooldad
    So what psi is in there, and what's the limit?

Sag is important.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    How much PSI you putting in.

Based on the set-up instructions, you can whack a fair amount of air in.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center ... adrt2.html

Ref your question `is sag imporant`? Yes it is - if you use c.50% just sitting on the bike, imagine how much you'll use actually riding it. If you max out the shock on a regular basis, it's not much fun.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • I've got a different set of figures for my wheel size. It's 420 positive and 355 negative 450 and 400 us the max
  • cooldad
    So pump to what you need (subject to max), nor what you've read. And set up per the instructions.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What chart? Hopefully not one of the idiots who suggests a factor based on rider weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    @ Bikerider82: I have attached an extremely good guide from Bike Rumour to setting up your suspension, and subsequently tuning it to make it even better. Right now, it will tell you far more than you need to know, but you will come back to it later and it will all make sense! Download it, print it off and read it at your leisure - great stuff! :D

https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/30/bi ... -download/
  • The Rookie wrote:
    What chart? Hopefully not one of the idiots who suggests a factor based on rider weight.

There seems to be as ever conflicting information. Fox say one pressure and Cannondale say another for my bike and wheel size.. Both are aimed at rider weight.
    @ Bikerider82: I have attached an extremely good guide from Bike Rumour to setting up your suspension, and subsequently tuning it to make it even better. Right now, it will tell you far more than you need to know, but you will come back to it later and it will all make sense! Download it, print it off and read it at your leisure - great stuff! :D

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/30/bikerumor-suspension-setup-series-full-series-pdf-free-download</span>/

Thanks very much. New to full suspension bikes so more info the better.
  • steve_sordy
    ...................New to full suspension bikes so more info the better.

I agree with the other replies, forget the weight vs pressure vs sag charts and tables. Just sit on the bike and measure what you get, add or remove air - simples! The only reliable chart is the %sag marks on the side of Rockshox forks and shocks.

But go online or read that link to find out how to do it.

Start with 25% and then ride the bike to see how it feels, then change it and see what happens. I have had fork and shock %sag set differently to each other, but mostly the same as each other. I have had %sag at everywhere from 20% to 30% on different bikes and also depending upon where I was riding and when. It's all about how it feels in the end. Aiming for a %sag is just a guide. Once you find out what you are happy with, write down the pressure you used to get that sag - somewhere you can find easily. Some write it on the shock pump, some on the garage wall, some on the fork/shock.
  • ...................New to full suspension bikes so more info the better.

I agree with the other replies, forget the weight vs pressure vs sag charts and tables. Just sit on the bike and measure what you get, add or remove air - simples! The only reliable chart is the %sag marks on the side of Rockshox forks and shocks.

But go online or read that link to find out how to do it.

Start with 25% and then ride the bike to see how it feels, then change it and see what happens. I have had fork and shock %sag set differently to each other, but mostly the same as each other. I have had %sag at everywhere from 20% to 30% on different bikes and also depending upon where I was riding and when. It's all about how it feels in the end. Aiming for a %sag is just a guide. Once you find out what you are happy with, write down the pressure you used to get that sag - somewhere you can find easily. Some write it on the shock pump, some on the garage wall, some on the fork/shock.

I managed to get it into the % mark so it's just about fine tuning now. Can't wait to get out and try it. Thanks very much for the help really appreciated. I am also losing weight through fitness and diet so another 6 kg off I dare will make it a little easier. Now need to find a decent pair of shorts and kit n I'll be sorted.
  • The Rookie
    Fox say one pressure and Cannondale say another for my bike and wheel size.. Both are aimed at rider weight.
    Unless the advice is bike specific it's meaningless, FS bikes have leverage ratios ranging from circa 2 to circa 3 (sometimes even outside that, mine is 1.9 and about the lowest you'll find), that alone requires 50% more air pressure to work for otherwise the exact same shock with the exact same rider. Forks are much more convenient as they all have a 1:1 leverage ratio so other than some bike geometry effects (how far back the riders CoG is) they are easier to set up, but a smaller diameter fork still need a higher pressure as it's acting on a smaller piston area.

As the Dryad is only fitted to the Cannondales I believe it's more predictable on leverage ratio, the chart shows that at 110Kg rider weight you should be at 450psi not the 113 you quote (which is the maximum for the quoted weight band - I think you got your columns mixed up!)
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center ... adrt2.html
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    The Rookie wrote:
    As the Dryad is only fitted to the Cannondales I believe it's more predictable on leverage ratio, the chart shows that at 110Kg rider weight you should be at 450psi ..............

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But 450psi!!! Wow, it was hurting my hands pumping to 280psi. Think of the pressure on the seals, do those shocks leak more than others?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Does sound a lot, I've only 110psi in my Fox shock with 28% sag, but it's dead easy to pump up.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    450psi is a lot but its clearly what that chart says (noting that negative is 380 so the effective off full travel pressure is only 70psi). No idea how that works in practice, I recall the 'Scott' (DT Swiss) branded pull shock on my sons bike had a fairly high pressure as well.
    I also have 115 in my RP23 but then I have a leverage ratio of 1.9 so it's going to be low (120mm travel Whyte T129 with a 63mm stroke shock), that's with a 6cc volume spacer, without (it was a replacement for the OE Monarch RL and came without a spacer) it needed quite a lot more, not for sag but to prevent bottoming out.