wednesday and battle come down

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,433
edited March 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

in the night was a cry, "a king without a pineapple, a land without a pancake", we live between history and another time

i foresee much coffee, dabble with webex, hitting mayfair later, then there shall be much bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Morning. Can someone make this dog eat his breakfast. I will reward them with many tropical fruits...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Big Harv wrote:
    Morning. Can someone make this dog eat his breakfast. I will reward them with many tropical fruits...
    Harv, make it his dinner and he'll be keen enough by this evening. Ours often skips a day then eats half a kilo of meat in one go to make up for it.

Morning folks, slightly later train in as going direct to the advisors for a round table meeting, lured in by the promise of free English brekky. At least I've managed to sort out now exactly how all the security gubbins on the new car is meant to work as the sales bloke was crap at explaining it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Pschaw to your tropical fruits; Dettol sprays and face masks are where it's at.

2nd grandchild admitted to hospital with pneumonia, closely followed by Mrs O who was minding the 2nd one up at theirs. I now have to travel to distant town and hospital to support and sort the logistics of vehicles in the wrong places, etc etc.

Thought it was supposed to be spring and that.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Weather isn't great, the ice age is coming and the sun zooming in.
    Doesn't sound like fun 'loon, hope all get better soon. Had to drive in today as Mrs still hobbling and needs to take her laptop home. Unfortunately I'm out for beer and curry straight from work so will have to get the car over to her this afternoon. Until then another busy day in the orifice, at least we have plenty of food.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Pschaw to your tropical fruits; Dettol sprays and face masks are where it's at.

2nd grandchild admitted to hospital with pneumonia, closely followed by Mrs O who was minding the 2nd one up at theirs. I now have to travel to distant town and hospital to support and sort the logistics of vehicles in the wrong places, etc etc.

Thought it was supposed to be spring and that.
    Hope they recover OK Loon. Pneumonia is not nice.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning

Feeling like rubbish again. First time on a bike in over a week as I need to drop the car off at the garage this evening. Took the MTB because the weather's pants and I might need those low gears for getting back home *cough*
    Appraisal later which will be fun. Pretty sure the appraisal system is borked so it will be a waste of time anyway.
    orraloon wrote:
    Hope things work out OK.
    At least doing the valet parking has some potential for cycling in between.
  • big_harv
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    Harv, make it his dinner and he'll be keen enough by this evening. Ours often skips a day then eats half a kilo of meat in one go to make up for it.

Yes, everyone I speak to has been there. The lad's teething but otherwise in fine health and of course no animal will starve itself.

Hope all ok with families..
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Big Harv wrote:

Ours isn't that fussed about breakfast, but if I want her to eat her breakfast e.g. on the days she goes to run around a big field all day with lots of other dogs, then I cut a bit of cheap cheddar into tiny little cubes, and mix it in with her normal dry food. Hey presto, gone in 30 seconds..
  • hopkinb
    edited March 2019
    orraloon wrote:

Best wishes and speedy recovery to little 'loon and all the clan 'loon.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, dreadful weather here again. Question of the day, I'm meant to be cycling 630km to Essex before Friday evening. I have tomorrow and Friday off. Do I A) get cycling at 6pm this evening to knock 100km off before sleeping in the bivvy for a few hours and doing two big days or B) set off at 3am tomorrow and do 2 even bigger days?

There will be rain throughout, but tonight there will be a 10mph headwind, switching to a very strong tail wind at 2 or 3am. The OH is driving down on Friday so I have a handy bail out if I completely d1ldo myself tomorrow. What do I do, internet?
  • hopkinb
    HaydenM wrote:
    Morning, dreadful weather here again. Question of the day, I'm meant to be cycling 630km to Essex before Friday evening. I have tomorrow and Friday off. Do I A) get cycling at 6pm this evening to knock 100km off before sleeping in the bivvy for a few hours and doing two big days or B) set off at 3am tomorrow and do 2 even bigger days?

There will be rain throughout, but tonight there will be a 10mph headwind, switching to a very strong tail wind at 2 or 3am. The OH is driving down on Friday so I have a handy bail out if I completely d1ldo myself tomorrow. What do I do, internet?

A), but stay in a travelodge or similar rather than a plastic & foil bag, then get up at 5 after a decent kip, and with dry kit and then surf the tailwind.

Also stay somewhere with a roof on Thursday night, you'll not sleep properly in March in a bivvy, and if you stay somewhere dry, you can dry your kit out.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Good luck loon

Hayden - use the wind!

Feck how can it only be Wednesday, blurred vision when pushing on this mornings run isn’t good, putting it down to crap sleep
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ciao all

chilled here - doing a late tonight so taking it easy in readiness for much buffonery later. will go to the gym in a bit.

hope all is good 'loon.

catch up in a bit.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    hopkinb wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

A), but stay in a travelodge or similar rather than a plastic & foil bag, then get up at 5 after a decent kip, and with dry kit and then surf the tailwind.

Also stay somewhere with a roof on Thursday night, you'll not sleep properly in March in a bivvy, and if you stay somewhere dry, you can dry your kit out.

Hadn't thought of staying somewhere tonight actually. The only issue with staying in a travel lodge is that I probably only want 4/5 hours sleep both nights so it's more faff than just collapsing off the bike mid ride.

For the rush hour traffic, I'm concerned about riding through Carlisle in the morning rush which will be about 2 hours south of me, not that it'll be much fun this evening at 8pm either. If I left in the morning I'd hope to be through there for half 5/6ish. If I leave at 8am I'd have to average about 25km/h once I factor in 5 hours sleep and 3 hours faff en route, might be possible in the wind...

Also, best wishes loon.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, many conference calls and I cant find my headphones so this will be fun.

Orra hope all ends up well!

Hayden, I'm with the others, get a hotel room did a walking holiday we took tents etc but after the first night in a cold damp tent an putting on cold damp clothes we decided to embrace our millennial ways and get a hotel.

Harv, ours you have to be in the same room as her or she wont eat (weird thing) so no suggestions here

Damp and breezy here today no pedalling in today off to pick up some bits later so car needed, onwards to boredom.
  • haydenm
    Step83 wrote:
    Hayden, I'm with the others, get a hotel room did a walking holiday we took tents etc but after the first night in a cold damp tent an putting on cold damp clothes we decided to embrace our millennial ways and get a hotel.

I still don't really think it's worth it for such little sleep. If I had a ~1kg lightweight tent I would maybe take that but it's still faff for setup time. The only benefit to a 1p tent over my bivvy is that you can get into it in the wet without soaking yourself/everything you own

This is my current bivvy, it has a single pole to keep it off your face and it's easier to keep properly dry in compared to a standard sleepingbag style one. Mull last May was quite a lot nicer that a wet hillside outside of Kirkby Stephen though

34827855_10156203785330659_2037603803154350080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=b266f75aa59bc9887b339581de974f63&oe=5CE15C8D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    "And now is the Pineapple of our discontent, made glorious Mango by this son of a Liberal".

@Harv - something soft. If the sore teeth are putting the dog off eating harder foodstuffs. Maybe he(?) will go for so long and then be very hungry and just put up with the discomfort. Perhaps the pain comes and goes.
    My chap had this rubber bone and he mouthed it for hours.

Wind is in a southerly direction.

Sun has popped out. Did a few jobs in a wobbly sort of cack-handed manner. Coffee and 2 croissant and they were very good.

There has been a pretty bad cough/cold thingy doing the rounds where we are 'Loon. Maybe said bug is endemic in Jockland currently. I wonder if it is connected. Good luck.
    When I was at the Jubilee, there were 3 people on the same ward with chest infections.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • big_harv
    Pinno wrote:

@Harv - something soft. If the sore teeth are putting the dog off eating harder foodstuffs. Maybe he(?) will go for so long and then be very hungry and just put up with the discomfort. Perhaps the pain comes and goes.
    My chap had this rubber bone and he mouthed it for hours.

So he scoffed the lot and licked the bowl clean as soon as we came in from walk, about 30 mns after I posted in here. Thanks all :wink:
  • hopkinb
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    Mull last May was quite a lot nicer that a wet hillside outside of Kirkby Stephen though

34827855_10156203785330659_2037603803154350080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=b266f75aa59bc9887b339581de974f63&oe=5CE15C8D

It's the 6th of March. It's going to be wet. It's going to be cold.

Even for 4/5 hours kip, a cheap & cheerful hotel will be 1000x nicer than a wet hillside - comfort, warmth, toilet, ability to hang up damp kit, not having to carry warm stuff to sleep in, or a bivvy. I suppose things like travelodges/premier inn/holiday inn express where you can book in and out with a minimum of fuss might be a bit few & far between, or at the side of dual carriageways, which might force your hand a bit.

Still, it's your call. If you do the bivvy approach, make sure you post pics of how cold & miserable you get. You will get umpteen tough guy points from me if you do it all out of doors. :D:wink:

Best of luck with the ride. An excellent madcap scheme.
  • Stevo_666
    HaydenM wrote:

Given the distance Hayden, how about this great new thing called 'driving' ? :)
  • step83
    HaydenM wrote:

Why did you take a photo of an old windsock that someones just dumped? :lol:

Nice surprise for me my RX inserts came back with lenses so I can now use my jawbreakers without contact lenses huzzah! Quick cut a pineapple in celebration!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    I quite fancy the idea of a massive bike ride/tour but will be armed with a credit card and search out hotels that provide free shampoo and soap.

Isn't roughing it something you do when you're about 14?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • haydenm
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Given the distance Hayden, how about this great new thing called 'driving' ? :)

I get free personal fuel as well so that makes it twice as stupid... I was planning to stay mostly in my cycling gear but I have a synthetic insulation jacket which I think will do the trick, and a new sleeping bag which I haven't tried. This would be a whole lot better if it was summer, and not in the UK

Is this picture better? Or is the vicious mongrel photobomb ruining it :lol:

35143413_10156203785290659_110768387679846400_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=2e3e6d7f957af659f524609639db274d&oe=5D1931F8
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    hopkinb wrote:
    You will get umpteen tough guy points from me if you do it all out of doors. :D :wink.

...and Hoppy is tougher than Sean Bean, so that's street cred.

But, if you end up with bronchial pneumonia...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Hayden:

sorry - am i missing something? you want to voluntarily sleep outdoors in the UK rather than get a room?

Seriously?

#lunatic

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    sounds like a good challenge, it might be damp but its warm, id be tempted to do it in two epic days that way at the most theres only one more day to do.
  • step83
    sounds like a good challenge, it might be damp but its warm, id be tempted to do it in two epic days that way at the most theres only one more day to do.

Its UK in March it'll be cold an damp, might even have a nice frost
  • haydenm

And it minimises wet bivvying, it's meant to be about 0 degrees on Thursday night... Still undecided
  • Matthewfalle
    radio man person said they are predicting the wettest March ever.

get room my son.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Hayden:

sorry - am i missing something? you want to voluntarily sleep outdoors in the UK rather than get a room?

Seriously?

#lunatic
    Why do I get the feeling there maybe ladies of the night missing in the vacinity of his tent