GT85

milzy241
milzy241 Posts: 12
edited March 2019 in MTB general
I have a few cans of GT85 with PTFE in my shed and was wondering if it has a use on my mountain bike ?? Can it be used as a lube ?? and if so, where / what on ??
Many thanks.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I use it as a chain lube on my best road bike. Not in the winter though - rain washes it away too quickly. Spray on a rag and run the chain through. No mess.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I personally wouldn't class it as a lube. Use it after washing or between rides to drive out water. Also good on creaky clipless pedals I find. But it will remove real lube/grease pretty easily, so I always re-lube properly every few rides.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,460
    I use it sprayed on a rag to clean gunky old oil/grime off my chain and I spray it into cable outers to try and keep the water out.
    Or just spray it around the garage to make it smell nice, like Febreeze for mechanics.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yes I don't tend to use it much on my bike only on the seat post bolts etc to stop any noise and giving them a light lubrication to stop em seizing up etc.

its like wd40 not something to really use on a bike, the 3in1 bike maintainance spray is something I do use though.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I do use it as others have said post-wash.

I usually degrease/clean the chain, rinse it then dry with a towel. Spray with GT85 to help lube it and push out other moisture. Need to then wipe down and oil properly within 24 hours or the chain starts to rust.

Although it has PTFE in it, it is still a degreaser and as such is designed to remove grease etc. so not really good for pivot bearings, hubs etc. I've made the mistake of using it of fork stanchions post-wash and now learnt that's not a good idea. I now use fork oil.

It has a use but probably a limited one, despite the temptation to spray it on everything that needs `lubing`.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    No. GT85 is not good to use as a lube on your bike as it is a degreaser.
    It's ok for door hinges in the house and that's about it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    monkimark wrote:
    Or just spray it around the garage to make it smell nice, like Febreeze for mechanics.
    I've always thought they'd make a killing on GT85 scented aftershave...
  • milzy241
    milzy241 Posts: 12
    Thanks all, great advice.
  • Furby_1
    Furby_1 Posts: 1
    whyamihere wrote:
    monkimark wrote:

Is it wrong that I actually bought a can of GT85......... Just for the smell?????? :?
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Furby_1 wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    monkimark wrote:

Is it wrong that I actually bought a can of GT85......... Just for the smell?????? :?

Depends if its for `personal` use only.......
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    What do you guys use then? I've used gt85 for years on all my bikes. Clean chain and use some dry lube from time to time and then use the gt85 when been out in rain..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Actual chain lube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    freebs wrote:
    What do you guys use then? I've used gt85 for years on all my bikes. Clean chain and use some dry lube from time to time and then use the gt85 when been out in rain..

I use a Muc Off PTFE spray after washing to drive out the water, then wet/dry lube every few rides. Seems to work ok for me.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I use GT85 as a polish and spray it on screws mechs to stop the grub screws from going rusty and/or seizing. Worked fine like that for years.

It also smells lush.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I use GT85 as a polish and spray it on screws mechs to stop the grub screws from going rusty and/or seizing. Worked fine like that for years.

It also smells lush.

Yep, I've also used it on my seat post last night so stop some clicking noise coming from it and the seat clamp.

its good if you spray on a clean rag and wipe over the frame too especially in winter with the salt on the roads etc.