Garmin and my iphone

oblongomaculatus
oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
edited March 2019 in The cake stop
I recently upgraded my Garmin to a 520. One of the features new to me is the ability to get notifications of texts and calls from my iPhone. But I can't get this to work. I think I've set it up right - the Garmin says my phone is connected to my Garmin via bluetooth, and my phone agrees. The Garmin says for call and text features I should additionally select BLE Edge 520 from the bluetooth section of settings. On that page I see a connection BT Edge 520, listed as connected, and BLE Edge 520, shown as not connected. When I select this, after a few seconds the status changes to connected. As I understand it, this is all I need to do to get text and call alerts when out, but this is not happening. I have had calls, which I hear, but which don't register on my Garmin.

It's not desperately important, of course, it would just be handy to know who's calling without having to stop and fish my phone out of my pocket. I think I'm probably missing a step in the set up process somewhere, but I can't see what. Anyone know what it is?

Comments

• joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    To be honest, I ride my bike to get away from phone calls.

Not very helpful I know.
  • Try selecting forget this device for the BT Edge 520, it should them connect to the BLE 520.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    joe2008 wrote:

Not very helpful I know.

:lol:
    Likewise!
  • Robert88 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

Not very helpful I know.

:lol:
    Likewise!

Me too, really. I generally ignore calls/texts while I'm out as they're most often spam. And if they're from work, or friends, they can wait.But if the phone goes off in my pocket it makes me wonder if it might be that one call which is genuinely urgent. For that reason, I usually turn the phone off before I get on the bike. Tbh, though, it's mostly because It's annoying not being able to make it work, and not knowing why.

manoirdelourde, the problem is not that I can't connect to BLE 520, it's that when connected I still don't get notifications.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Do you leave Garmin Connect open on your phone? If not it might be worth trying that. I get notifications on my Garmin watch and with my iPhone it used to work without Connect being open but I recently changed to Android on a Huawei and it now requires the app to be open so maybe something has changed in a Garmin update.
  • Pross wrote:
    Do you leave Garmin Connect open on your phone? If not it might be worth trying that. I get notifications on my Garmin watch and with my iPhone it used to work without Connect being open but I recently changed to Android on a Huawei and it now requires the app to be open so maybe something has changed in a Garmin update.

Thanks for that thought, you may well be right, given how updates on my Mac have in the past screwed up things that were previously working perfectly… although I don't use the Connect app, as I don't find it useful, and it seems to cause the battery to drain quicker.

Update: since this morning, I spent some time telling my phone to forget both connections, then discover them again. After a couple of rounds of this, I find calls now appear on the Garmin (I rang my phone from the landline). Why it wasn't working before, I have no idea. And whether it still works when I'm out on a ride remains to be seen.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I have a 520 and a Fenix 3, sometimes notifications work, but now and again it doesn't. I agree it is handy to look down and see if it's important enough to stop and answer or to ignore. There is a Garmin forum with some useful info on, but don't expect a quick reply if you post a message
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....