Sram rear deraileurs

Mcmadd
Mcmadd Posts: 4
edited March 2019 in Workshop
Hi all. Does any on know if the cages on rear SRAM deraileurs are interchangeable?? I have a force 22 rear mech that's has been in a back wheel smashing the carbon outer part of the cage and a jockey wheel. The part is relatively new an I can't see to buy anywhere. I have taken the cage from the rest of the mech and thinking can I, a) use from a salvaged rival 22 cage or b) use from a force 10 mech.
Thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    All SRAM non-electronic derailleurs are interchangeable. If you have an old 10 speed rear it will work as 11 speed with 11 speed shifters. Its a waste of money to go buying new derailleurs in some circumstances. For instance, I wanted a Wifli rear for my winter bike in order to ft an 11-30 cassette. I wasn't forking out for the Force 22 when a cheap Apex does the job just as well.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Thanks philthy3. I'm actually thinking of spare parts though. The main body of my force22 is ok, just the cage where the jockey wheels are is damaged (carbon shattered). Could I take apart a Rival mech or a force10, and put that cage on to the force22 body? I cant see how a force 10spd mech could provide all the shifts for an 11spd cassette.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Mcmadd wrote:
    Thanks philthy3. I'm actually thinking of spare parts though. The main body of my force22 is ok, just the cage where the jockey wheels are is damaged (carbon shattered). Could I take apart a Rival mech or a force10, and put that cage on to the force22 body? I cant see how a force 10spd mech could provide all the shifts for an 11spd cassette.

The number of gears is controlled by the shifter not the rear mech. A SRAM 10sp rear mech will work with 11 speed shifters and 11sp cassette.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Mcmadd wrote:
    Thanks philthy3. I'm actually thinking of spare parts though. The main body of my force22 is ok, just the cage where the jockey wheels are is damaged (carbon shattered). Could I take apart a Rival mech or a force10, and put that cage on to the force22 body? I cant see how a force 10spd mech could provide all the shifts for an 11spd cassette.

The jockey wheel cage makes no difference to the actuation of the derailleur. I advise against removing the cage as the effort to get the tension back on the spring can be problematic without the correct tools to hand. Better to try straightening it out on the derailleur if you can. As to whether the cages are interchangeable, I don't know.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Mcmadd
    Mcmadd Posts: 4
    Thanks again for reply... managed to get cage off..bit fiddly but massivley problematic Can't straighten out the cage. Outer is carbon and shattered ....inner is possible but no good without outer...found an email for sram and did get a response from them saying other cages are not interchangeable. Gone down second hand route (ebay)..i may strip an old force 10 or rival cage though later to see if they are interchangeable..noticed they are quite inexpensive on the second hand sites.
    Will keep you updated.