Seized & Threaded Crank

JAMESB377
JAMESB377 Posts: 9
edited March 2019 in Workshop
Hi all,

I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to remove my Shimano 600 drive side crank, as it's seized on and the bolt hole is threaded so I can't use my crank removal tool.

I've tried everything to get it off (crank removal tool, three leg gear puller, HAMMER, CROW BAR) but it's not budging.

My only thought now is that I re-thread the bolt hole so that I can use my crank removal tool. However the only tool I have found online to rethread the crank is out of stock everywhere "Bicycle Research Crank Arm Thread Chaser, TC-8 ".

Is there another rethreading tool that I could use to carry out this task, or does anyone have any other ideas of how I can remove the stubborn crank?

Pics Below:

https://ibb.co/R3QGSVQ
https://ibb.co/z5YpF5D

Thanks

James

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Do you want to keep the crank arms? If not, a Dremel will get it off pretty quick.
  • I'm not looking to keep the crank arms. Good shout with Dremel! Although I will leave that as a last resort because I'll need to buy the £70 tool.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    If the non drive side crank arm is off can you strip the Bottom Bracket axle out with the drive side still on? I’d remove the chain rings to get better access to the lock ring behind it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you can remove the cups from the non drive side, it might then be possible to drive/hammer out the axle from the drive side..
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Have you tried riding the bike?

There's a reasonable chance it'll come off by itself if you ride round the block a few times.

Obviously you'll need to leave the bolt off, and I would advise against standing on the pedals....

EDIT - actually, put the bolt back on but leave it loose :-)
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Use the crank removal tool. If you are concerned about damaging the thread on the BB spindle, protect it by placing a suitably sized plain washer over the end of the spindle. Doing that will prevent the removal tool's thrust face from engaging with the threads.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Manglier wrote:
    Use the crank removal tool. If you are concerned about damaging the thread on the BB spindle, protect it by placing a suitably sized plain washer over the end of the spindle. Doing that will prevent the removal tool's thrust face from engaging with the threads.

The thread in the BB axle is not relevant. The problem is the thread in the chainset, which will not hold the removal tool...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited March 2019
    Hacksaw it off.

Hacksaw the b/b bit where it meets the crank - you can fit a blade in when the bike is upside down.

A Dremel does not cost £70. Or borrow one.

Get it helicoiled for a tenner and use crank removal tool.

Recut the thread and use crank removal tool. That will cost a tenner.

Get rid of the remainder of threads. Insert crank removal tool. a couple of spot welds to hold it in, use as normal.

A myriad of opportunities.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Wrap the thread of the removal tool with PTFE plumbers tape until it fits.
  • Thanks all for you advice!

Sandyballs - I took your tip about removing the chain rings. I think this gave my three leg puller better grip, which allowed me to remove the crank. PHEW!

Thanks again.