Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    I think my feed must be a few beers ahead

Ftfy
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    inseine wrote:
    GVA was too strong. He tried to follow the attacks, including Stybar but the others wouldn't help.

He misread the situation. He shouldn't have chased down Wellens immediately.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    TheBigBean wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    GVA was too strong. He tried to follow the attacks, including Stybar but the others wouldn't help.

You could maybe say that about Stybars attack too. The fact is he was strong and the rest knew it, but not quite strong enough to get away on his own (which he tried earlier).
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    inseine wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    inseine wrote:

You could maybe say that about Stybars attack too. The fact is he was strong and the rest knew it, but not quite strong enough to get away on his own (which he tried earlier).

Annoying for GVA that his breakaway companions still had some jump left to trouble him before they got to the sprint where they wouldn’t.
  • rick_chasey
    What’s wrong with Sep?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Pross wrote:
    Excellent, will get back home and put it on!

Well that was a success. Got home, put it on and saw the big breakaway group get caught then fell asleep. Woke briefly as they crossed the final climb, again as Wellens then Stybar had their attacks and then a final time as Stybar rode the final 500m before going back to sleep until the wife got home. At least I saw most of the key points!
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Well that was a success. Got home, put it on and saw the big breakaway group get caught then fell asleep. Woke briefly as they crossed the final climb, again as Wellens then Stybar had their attacks and then a final time as Stybar rode the final 500m before going back to sleep until the wife got home. At least I saw most of the key points!

Sleeping whilst watching bike races is massively underrated.

Hope you enjoyed.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,557
    What’s wrong with Sep?

He's not sure. Apparently he felt fine and then just blew up...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,557
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I also nodded off just after the bosberg, but then my other half nudged me a chuckle with about 5km to go...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Hope you enjoyed.

Isn't it why the Arab races were dreamed up?
    I highly recommend mid stage napping, although I never feel the need during the classic campaign.
    Not sure what the fact that a couple here managed it today says about the race.
    I found it pretty mediocre, but that may be down to my miserly beer consumption.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    dish_dash wrote:
    What’s wrong with Sep?

He's not sure. Apparently he felt fine and then just blew up...

He never makes it easy for his fans. Still, Team My Man clocked up its first proper win of the year.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Hope you enjoyed.

Isn't it why the Arab races were dreamed up?
    I highly recommend mid stage napping, although I never feel the need during the classic campaign.
    Not sure what the fact that a couple here managed it today says about the race.
    I found it pretty mediocre, but that may be down to my miserly beer consumption.

Yes, fairly standard fare really.

Still, it’s cobbled spring one dater.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    What happened with Valgren? Did he have a problem or is he the latest rider to go to Dimension Data and ride like a sack of spanners?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Hope you enjoyed.

I went to the pub to watch the North London derby, and missed the race entirely.
    However, I did fall asleep while reading the spoiler thread. Does that count?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Hope you enjoyed.

I went to the pub to watch the North London derby, and missed the race entirely.
    However, I did fall asleep while reading the spoiler thread. Does that count?

Depends what you were drinking at the pub
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,926
    Has this been mentioned?
    Odd that the women's race started after the men's?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... hanselmann
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Has this been mentioned?

Support race and they hadn’t reached the point where the women peel off in order to provide some distraction at the finish whilst everyone waits for the race to arrive.

There was apparently only an 8minute gap between the race and the women. They were faster than the fast time, the race was slower than the forecast slowest. Red faces for the organisers and uci
  • Any news on how Harry Tanfield got on?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Has this been mentioned?

Not the best, but sympathise with the organisers. I can see why they wanted to keep the races close together. Just a bit of bad luck that the women wanted to go hard from the gun but the men were more sedate...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Has this been mentioned?

The two races, in this case, don't follow the same course. They diverge after about 50km, the men do an extra 80km somewhere and they end up with the same finish.

Ironically this seems to have been done so that the women's race would finish closer to (but still before) the men, to maximise the crowd and journalists to greet them.

They obviously miscalculated the dynamics of the races (perhaps taking the typical first hour paces from the breakaways rather than the peloton) and they were caught out by a particularly lethargic men's start (the men's break was already nine minutes ahead at that point - topping out at 14).

Another irony is that Hanselman, who was presumably just in the solo break to show her sponsors, has gained more publicity for this than her entire career to date.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Any news on how Harry Tanfield got on?
    DNF
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,926
    RichN95 wrote:
    Has this been mentioned?

The two races, in this case, don't follow the same course. They diverge after about 50km, the men do an extra 80km somewhere and they end up with the same finish.

Ironically this seems to have been done so that the women's race would finish closer to (but still before) the men, to maximise the crowd and journalists to greet them.

They obviously miscalculated the dynamics of the races (perhaps taking the typical first hour paces from the breakaways rather than the peloton) and they were caught out by a particularly lethargic men's start (the men's break was already nine minutes ahead at that point - topping out at 14).

Another irony is that Hanselman, who was presumably just in the solo break to show her sponsors, has gained more publicity for this than her entire career to date.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Loving the twitter reaction that she's so good she caught the men but wasn't allowed to race.
    :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    Has this been mentioned?

Thanks. Makes sense.

Loving the twitter reaction that she's so good she caught the men but wasn't allowed to race.
    :lol:
    Commentators are idiots.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    DNF

Same in KBK i imagine?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    RichN95 wrote:
    DNF

Same in KBK i imagine?

Yup.

So far his season has been 5 starts and 5 DNFs.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.